PDA

View Full Version : low end wireless networking

Orion
03-30-2003, 06:01 PM
I have an old Dell Pentium Pro 200 Mhz system that I would like to network to my other computers, all three with D-Link Air+ cards. I originally bought an airplus card for the Dell as well, but found out that it only works with computers faster than 300 Mhz. in fact, after installing it, I got past the post once, but then froze, and each subsequent time I tried rebooting, couldn't get past the post. as soon as I took out the card, all returned to normal. is there a card out there that you know woiuld work with a Pentium Pro 200 Dell system? I beleive the chipset is the 440FX. it may be the 450FX though, I dont' remember. would a USB wireless card work with this? and anyone know why it would freeze so early in the boot just cause of an added card?
Thanks...
Orion

Max Power
04-11-2003, 10:04 AM
I had a similar experience installing Netgear cards on older Dells last week on a wireless network with a Netgear router. I think they were 300mhz.
I was able to finally get the systems to boot after several re-installs, but the systems would never connect to the network or internet. I worked with Netgear tech support and they said that everything was configured OK....they couldnt figure it out. I installed a new Dell laptop and PC to that same network without a problem.
I am not going to waste anymore time trying to figure it out because it's possible that wireless technology will not work with these older systems at all. I think they are going to phase these systems out soon anyway.

Orion
04-11-2003, 03:13 PM
I may give up on it, I just wish I could find out if a USB wireless network card would work with this computer. otherwise I have to find a way to get it wired to the lan. I don't want to give up on this computer yet, despite it's age...oh well, I guess I'll see.
Orion