View Full Version : My site using HTML shows errors
04-11-2003, 09:27 PM
I was wondering if you could tell me what I am doing wrong.
As I have written the site in HTML I thought this would be the correct place.
When I view the site on my computer (locally) using the local files, in IE6 and Opera6.3 as well as in notepad every thing shows OK. BUT! when I upload it to my host on the net the pages all show errors. :(
If I connect to the net and use the local pages to check the links I have inserted within the files the errors are not there. :confused:
At the bottom of the pages there are extra links, partial links and text. These do not show in the html or notepad locally
These links and text's are not in the HTML files in notepad nor when I open up locally in IE6 and Opera 6.3, only when uploaded and online. I could send you one of the HTML (note pad files, or a local HTML file, for you to check if required)
When an (online) web page is loaded, and the source coding is viewed on line, it shows the extras. I have sat for hours comparing both the online source code and my local html in notepad to see if I could spot any mistakes in the coding. I know there will be some so do not shout to loudly at me :rolleyes:
I am going insane trying to figure this out.
I hope I have explained myself clearly enough.
My site is www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk
04-11-2003, 11:30 PM
<br>(This link will be updated on a fairly regular basis)
</html>on a fairly regular basis)
If that is what you are talking about, it looks like a copy and paste gone awry....just delete everything after the close of the first html tag.
04-13-2003, 06:43 AM
That is what I mean.
The section you point out is not in the original (local ) file. Please find it attached. (hope the attachment works) I have noticed errors similat to this in all the pages. So yes it must be something I have done. But how can coding I have not made / inserted into the original appear when it gets uploaded to host.
The errors do not appear when I check loccally or when I connct to net the open the local file.
You're right, if that is a copy of the page from your hard drive...and it is very strange...
How are you uploading?
What are you using to upload?
Have you tried to remove the uploaded page and upload again?
04-17-2003, 06:29 PM
Have just deleted from host and uploaded the index page again from hard drive.
Definately correct file posted into forum, and exactly same as I upload.
Errors of similar nature in rest of site.
File being uploaded is "index.html"
Same error showing in it, this in Opera 6. Like so
(This link will be updated on a fairly regular basis)
on a fairly regular basis)ml>
(Line break as in Opera web page) All of the other content is correct
The same error shows in IE6 as well but laid out differently, on the same Line - like so
(This link will be updated on a fairly regular basis) on a fairly regular basis) ml> All one line in IE web page. This is more than likely the diffs in browsers. Though none of this shows locally from hard drive
I use LEECH to upload it. (Drag & drop)
One thing. With all web pages and greaphics I have to drag the file over 4-5 times before the sizes are the same.
(drag first time and it loads approx 1,508, drag second time total the goes to 1,950 etc
Hope I have explained that correctly.) I contacted ISP and they say everything OK thier end.
04-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Have now downloaded ACE FTP and will try with that over next couple of days to see if any difference. But would, if possible still like to know reason for the errors :(
04-17-2003, 10:26 PM
I have once more deleted all the content from the site and re-uploaded it with ACE FTP.
As far as I can see it seems to be OK in both Opera and IE. Though at the moment my head is spinning after trying to figure out new software.
(I will have to teach the dog to read and write. She might make a better job than me) Would it be possible for you to have a quick peek to check for me?
So problem must be with Leech FTP. Ace did find one error in my coding that I had missed.
Would it be possible to get a begging smilie inserted just for me in situations just like this :D
It must be the error in file size using Leech.
04-18-2003, 09:54 AM
When tranferring HTML files make sure they are transferred in ASCII (text) mode and not binary mode. Photos, graphics, etc. should be transferred in binary mode.
If the webserver is Linux/Unix based (as opposed to Windows) you can expect to see a slight difference in file size between the copy on your computer and the copy on the server. The copy on the server will be very slightly smaller.
Also, an excellent free FTP program is WS_FTP LE (Limited Edition). This program has been a standard for many years. You may get it at http://www.ftpplanet.com/download.htm When (if) you install it be sure to select 'home user'.
04-18-2003, 04:25 PM
Thanks. No obvious errors at the moment. As you say it must be Leech sizing.
I had Leech set to Auto. Files loaded Ok but with extra coding inserted into web pages. Thanks for the info. Will print off and keep for furure reference.
All I have to do no is check out all the links in the site. They were working prior to uploading but I will check them all again.
04-19-2003, 10:33 AM
Glad you got it sorted. If you have any more problems with uploading files, I would second sleddog's selection of WS-FTP. Works like a charm for me, and doesn't take a lot of configuring!
04-19-2003, 04:26 PM
As I said I used ACE to upload it. My head is still spinning. But this idown to my inabillity to absorb what in front of me. I will install WS and compare.
04-19-2003, 10:50 PM
Ernie, please give a translation for your proverb. Curiosity is killing me :)
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.