PDA

View Full Version : Need help with laptop problem

04-14-2003, 04:11 PM
Its a HP Omnibook 5700ctx. A 97 model I believe. Problem is this,something happened and operating system Win 95 is gone off the harddrive, and the other problem is I can't re install Win 95 because it uses a Microsolutions Backpack bantam cd rom in the parallel port
and needs apparently a special driver but it won't fit on diskette. The Windows 98SE start up diskette that I used to just see what would happen wants to load everything correctly but can't find a device driver for the cd rom. The ladys recovery diskette also wants to work but gives a similar message of stopping recovery because it can't find a cd rom device driver. A bootdisk from bootdisk.com gives me a invalid system diskette, please remove or retry message. Very frustrated at this point. Looking for suggestions please to get this thing going.

david eaton
04-14-2003, 05:09 PM
Just a thought. will zipping the driver file shrink it enough to get it on one floppy? Winzip will, so you could boot with a win98se disc, and copy winzip over to the hard drive, and unzip the driver.

Alternatively, there are programs about that will split a file into floppy-size parts. Don't know the names off-hand, but a search on download.com or similar site should find one.

If either way works, I suggest that you copy the windows CD to the hard drive. Running the install from there will avoid complications arising during installation, when the machine reboots and cannot find the CD drive.

David

Rick
04-14-2003, 05:52 PM
Winzip wonít do you any good If you canít even load the O/S.

You can get the older DOS version of PKZIP

Then d/l the correct driver to another system and zip it to a floppy.
Copy it to the HDD of the laptop
Then use the Hdd to boot the system and run from there

04-14-2003, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the replys. I was wondering if they made a cable, that I could use that would run from my cd rom on my computer to the parallel
port on her computer and then boot using my Win98se boot disk that offers to boot with cd support. I believe it would work and be able to re in-stall Win 95 but the problem is finding a cable.

Rick
04-14-2003, 07:11 PM
The Problem isnít the cable.
Itís getting her computer to boot and run the drives to access the lpt port

What you can do to connect the two systems is find a copy of Laplink for dos or Pcanywhere 9.0 or lower version

Both these programs allow you to connect two systems together using an lpt or com port
In fact pcanywhere 9 includes the lpt cable and both windows and dos version of host and control

Using this setup.
You can then boot the laptop to dos.
Format the drive to fat 16 and install pcanywhere on it.
Then boot from the hdd and start the dos host with the lpt cable installed.

Then use the control applet in the windows system and copy the win95 files to the laptop hdd from the windows system cd-rom drive
Then install from win95 directly from the laptop hdd
NO need for a cd-rom access in the laptop using this method ..

04-14-2003, 07:38 PM
Not familiar with pcanywhere but can get that way.Where can I get this animal? Also I have it set up as Fat 32 right now but can always change
it as it is Win95.Also are we saying that since it is a parallel port I would still have trouble even if I had a cable that would at least connect between the machines.

Rick
04-14-2003, 08:03 PM
You need something INSTALLED and RUNNING on the laptop
To be able to access the laptop in any way .

The LPT cable like the Dull modem cable used on a com port has a special wiring.
RTS CTS are swapped around ( ready to send Ė clear to send)

Allowing the two systems to communicate across the cable without bumping into each other..
These cables can be found in some computer retailers

Pcanywhere is available in most retailers.
Finding a version that supports Both windows and dos is the trick

I know for a fact that 9.0 supports DOS - windows up to and including win 98
and that version 10 supports win32 including XP But does NOT support DOS

The best way to deal with these older versions is to find someone local who has them and is willing to loan them to you

04-14-2003, 08:08 PM
Rick: Thanks very much for your help. At least I have something else as an alternative.

classicsoftware
04-14-2003, 11:18 PM
If you have a cable, I have a copy of Lap-link for DOS. I could lend you a copy.

Please send me a PM with your e-mail address...

Are there any files on your hard drive. If there are, you could install from the hard drive.

If not, you can lap-link from a CD on a good machine to the lap-top and then install from the hard drive on the lap-top.

Rick
04-15-2003, 07:00 AM
Good Idea,

And Laplink supports the Com Port Null modem
You can get a Null modem adapter and serial cable almost any where for less than $10.00

04-15-2003, 10:35 AM
Sounds even better and more of a straight line in my book. First off lets make sure I have my thought processes correct. There are no files on the harddrive at the present time. So I would connect the Lap link
between my computer it self, parallel or serial or the cd rom of my computer to the parallel port or serial port of the lap top? Are we going in the right direction here? Plus the null modem goes between the two computers? Doesnt Radio Shack have those?

classicsoftware
04-15-2003, 11:32 AM
You will need a copy of Laplink for DOS or other DOS program. and a Lap-Link cable. You can get them at Radio-Shack but you will pay a fortune for them there.

04-15-2003, 12:54 PM
Would Best Buy be a better source? I have your email with lap link, thanks.

04-15-2003, 01:03 PM
Just curious but this is the first laptop to ever have a problem with and just reading the post about the Dell with no operating system. Is this a common problem with laptops? This HP had the same message when I started.

classicsoftware
04-15-2003, 02:21 PM
Try Best buy first and see if they have a parallel lap-link cable. Settle for serial if you have to.

If RS is the only place then you have to do it. I just know they are very expensive. I needed a video extension cable in a pinch and they charged $18.00 for a cable I usually get for $3.00

Look for serial cable

here (http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/resellers/0-11168-311-365730.html?tag=st.sh.sr.pl.pr365730)

Parallel cable:

here (http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/resellers/0-7085-311-2847529.html?tag=st.sh.sr.pl.pr2847529)

skhips
04-15-2003, 03:32 PM
I have the floppy drivers for the backpack cd-rom at work but I dont know if they will work in DOS, drop an email and tomorrow I can email them to you (2 x floppy disks). (of course I'll check out the DOS side of it.
Below is a link to DOS drivers, will this do what you need.

http://www.micro-solutions.com/software_library/

:)

Rick
04-15-2003, 05:21 PM
Here is what you will need to do.
Create a Boot disk for the laptop using dos..
Fdisk the hdd and install O/S and laplink for dos.

Install Laplink on your other system
Make any and all needed configuration changes for the Connection.
( Port protocol and file locations)

Shut down the systems
Connect the Cable between the two systems.

Boot the Laptop in Host mode
Boot the other system in remote mode

Place the O/S cd you want to install in the remote systems CD rom drive.
Using the remote system create a folder on the laptop to install the O/S cab and setup files into.
Then copy the folder contents from the cd to the laptop

For example using windows 95
Create a folder on the laptop called "c:\win95"
Then copy all the files from the remote systems cd-rom :\win95 folder to the new folder on the laptop
Then copy the extra needed files for any non win95 supported devices.
) BackPack cd-rom and any others needed till the system reboots and access to the cd is working

Shut down both systems
Remove the cables
Boot the laptop in dos ( With a Floppy if need be)
Then change to the win95 folder and run the setup program
This will install the O/S

classicsoftware
04-15-2003, 10:32 PM
Once you have the disk ready to go

at the DOS prompt type ll3 on each computer.

You know you are connected when you see a list of files on each side.
The screen is split between host and remote. For the purposes of our discussion the laptop will be the host and the desktop will be the remote.

On the remote computer use the arrow key to activate the host side.

Hit L for log the current folder/directory will be displayed.
Hit the backspace key until there are no letters and type c:\win95 and press enter. The host side of the split screen will show an empty file list.

Hit the arrow key to get back to the remote side.

Hit L for log the current folder/directory will be displayed.
Hit the backspace key until there are no letters and type X:\WIN95, where x is the drive letter of your CD ROM on the desktop, The remote side of the screen will now show all of the files in the X:\win95 folder.

Hit W for wildcopy and all files will now be copied from the CD on the desktop to the hard drive on the laptop.

When you are done hit Q for quit and answer the exit question and you should be ready to go.

04-16-2003, 12:05 AM
I appreciate your help very much. Its always a pleasure to find someone who can give reasonable help and suggestions.