PDA

View Full Version : Dhcp

Japhanser
04-24-2003, 03:08 AM
Hi,

Where's "DHCP" standing for ? And do I've to set it when i sharing two pC's ? I've one problem: i don't know where i can find the settings.
My local network (2 pc's with XP) isn't working good.
Can somebody helps me, please ?
Thanks
Japhanser.:confused:

slim
04-24-2003, 09:04 AM
DHCP Stands for "Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol"

DHCP's purpose is to enable individual computers on an IP network to extract their configurations from a server (the 'DHCP server') or servers, in particular, servers that have no exact information about the individual computers until they request the information. The overall purpose of this is to reduce the work necessary to administer a large IP network. The most significant piece of information distributed in this manner is the IP address.

How is your local network setup???

If you have only two computers on your network and that is all that will be on the network then have you tried using a crossover cable??

Slim

Japhanser
04-24-2003, 10:52 AM
Slim,
I'm connected with 2 PC's to a router. The router is connected with a broadband modem to the internet. The connection is not cross over to the router.
But something is not OK with the settings.
Maybey you can help me.
Thanks
Hans.

slim
04-25-2003, 12:02 PM
So your two computers are connected directly to the router for internet access, but are they connected in any other way (i.e to each other)???

How are the computers connected to the router (i.e. usb, RJ45, RJ11, serial, etc)?

Have you set up the necessary networking protocols??

Can you see the other computer in the network neighbourhood??

Slim

Japhanser
04-25-2003, 07:10 PM
Slim,
First, sorry for my bad English.
The two computers are directly connected to the router and they are not connected at any other way to each other. I don't know much about the technical aspects but I think they make the connection to each other through the router ?
The connection-wires are UTP (8 wires) and i believe it's a RJ45 connection (not a telephone-connection).
In the beginning i've set up a windows network throug the wizard (specified a WORKGROUP and both PC's a computername). Afterwards i specified the folders to be shared at PC1 and PC2. There was no problem and both computers could see the shared folders by each other and manage them. At this moment PC2 can see and open the shared folders of PC1. But, strange: PC1 can see the shared folders at PC2 but whene i try to open these shared folder from PC2, PC1 always stacks and i always have to do "CTRL_ALT_DELETE " and "RESTART". Otherwise, sometimes PC1 can open the shared folders of PC2 and the files can be accesed. But this can be done for a short time and afterwards everything stacks (hangs) again.
Slim,
Your question: "Have you set up the necessary networking protocols??"
I think so (i've don it through the window network wizard).
Maybey you have i idea ?
Thanks anaway.
Japhanser:confused:

yawningdog
04-26-2003, 09:20 AM
Your English is fine, no need to apologize.

The correct way to describe your cables is cat5. As I understand it, you have two cpus connected to a router with cat5 and the router connected to a broadband modem.

Make sure that your network connection is good before you try to open the shared folders by pinging the other machine first. Go to a command prompt (I'm not sure how to do this in XP) and type "ping" and then the ip address of the other machine. If it works, your pc is probably the problem. If not, you're dealing with buggy software and I would uninstall and reinstall all the network services you're using. I think you've indeed set up all the necessary networking protocols, and they just aren't working for some reason.

slim
04-26-2003, 10:56 AM
To get to the command prompt in windows XP you need to go to "Start - Run" and type "cmd".

I agree with yawningdog, you seem to have the necessary protocols setup on the two computers, because you are able to see each of them in the local workgroup and access the folders.

The stacking (hangs) as you put it, on a network is often caused be either high network traffic over the router/hub or as in most cases incorrectly configured network settings. You are often still able to access the files, but it can take alot longer for the screen to refresh and will appear to hang your computer.

Out of interest, when these computers seem to hang, are either them accessing the internet or email at the same time.

It would be helpful to see the ipconfig of one of the computers, this can be done through the cmd prompt as follows.

1. "Start - Run" and type "cmd"
2. At the command prompt type "cd\"
3. At the command prompt type "cls"
4. At the command prompt type "ipconfig /all"
5. Right Click on the command window and click "Select all"
6. Hit "enter"
7. Either open notepad or this post and paste (Ctrl V) the results.

Slim

Japhanser
04-26-2003, 04:43 PM
Hi yawningdog en slim,
Thanks a lot for replying !

I have done what slim suggested. Below are the results. Excuse me that it's only in Dutch language.

C:\>ipconfig/all

Windows IP-configuratie

Host-naam . . . . . . . . . . . .: Familiekenens
Primair DNS-achtervoegsel. . . . .:
Knooppunttype: . . . . . . . . . .: onbekend
IP-routering ingeschakeld. . . . .: nee
WINS-proxy ingeschakeld . . . . . : nee

Ethernet-adapter LAN-verbinding:

Verbindingsspec. DNS-achtervoegsel: pandora.be
Beschrijving . . . . . . . . . . .:
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Fysiek adres. . . . . . . . . . . : 00-50-BF-7A-5C-FC
DHCP ingeshakeld. . . . . . . . . : ja
Autom. configuratie ingeschakeld. : ja
IP-adres. . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.xxx.xxx
Subnetmasker. . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Standaardgateway. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.xxx.xxx
DHCP-server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.xxx.xxx
DNS-servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 195.130.131.4
Lease verkregen . . . . . . . . . : zaterdag 26 april 2003 18:35:58
Lease verlopen . . . . . . . . . : zaterdag 7 juni 2003 10:35:58

C:\>

Thanks.
Japhanser.;)

yawningdog
04-27-2003, 12:00 AM
Okay, maybe I'm nuts, but to post your default gateway IP on the internet is, in my opinion, a really bad idea. You probably ought to contact a moderator and try to get that edited out. I hope your firewall is intact.

You'll notice that your default gateway and your dhcp server addresses are the same. This means that your IP address is assigned to you by your router whenever you access the internet.

Slim's post makes sense, but my thinking was that the shared folders weren't really being accessed, but were cached by the browser and thereby showed up in the browser window, even though they were inaccessible.

classicsoftware
04-27-2003, 01:06 AM
Not to worry yawingdog, he just posted uis internal ip address. The real ip address is the one between the router and the cable modem and that one was not displayed....

Budfred
04-27-2003, 01:36 AM
Actually, it has been edited... mjc was here....

Japhanser
04-28-2003, 04:40 AM
Hi,
In the weekend i've checked the settings of the network. Everything seems ok. But the problems started whene my son a few weeks ago on his PC (PC2) re-installed winXp just over the existing winXP (whitout formattings his "C"):mad:
So, we've format the "C", re-install XP, install the network.
No more problems.:)
So, i think it's never good to re-install a OS over a existing OS.
Anyway, thanks to all for supporting me.

Japhanser;)