PDA

View Full Version : Using TweakUI in w2k to redirect My Docs

drdan
05-07-2003, 11:42 PM
I tried installing TweakUI in my w2k system and although I downloaded it twice and tried installing it several times it does not appear in control panel even though that's where the install says it's putting it. Is there a trick to getting it installed in w2k and once I do how do I use it to redirct My Documents to my other partition?

Budfred
05-08-2003, 12:18 AM
I believe there is a specific version that you have to use for Win2K or WinXP....

Steve
05-08-2003, 11:44 AM
Hi Doc,

I'm not sure what's going wrong with your install, but here is what I do.

Make sure you're downloading the w2k version. Once it downloads, use Winzip to decompress the files. Once decompressed, the four tweakui files should be in your Temp folder. For me it's C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Local Settings\Temp. Right click on the tweakui.inf file and choose install.

Hopefully that will get you setup...:)

Sylvander
05-08-2003, 02:43 PM
I made a [permanent] temp folder right in my root folder and I always use that for temporarily holding installation files [rather than the "Desktop" folder].

I put a zero [actually a double zero] before the temp so it will sit right at the top of the folder system.
I suppose you could name it "00" [double zero] only, but the "temp" after that is a clue to it's function.

Hence the address is "C:\00temp".

drdan
05-10-2003, 03:31 AM
Thanks Steve. I followed your instructions and got it installed. I thought I had done the same thing before and it said it was installing to the control panel but never did. This time, once I restarted, the icon showed in control panel and from there it was easy to redirect My Documents.

Paul Komski
05-10-2003, 03:00 PM
BTW, TweakUI can move a few things, but MyDocuments can also be moved simply by RClicking on the My Documents Icon (the one on the desktop or the one on the start menu in WinXP) choosing properties and then click on MOVE!

drdan
05-10-2003, 04:46 PM
LOL Oh well, at least I learned a little more. My wife seemed to think it was funny too when I told her all I went through and then the short way! Thanks.

Paul Komski
05-10-2003, 08:18 PM
:D

;)