PDA

View Full Version : mandrake and XP

defjam
05-21-2003, 05:01 AM
i have two OS installed into one hard drive.just installed mandrake 9.0. and now when i start the system it keep booting from mandrake 9.0 is there a way i can switch the reboot into xp? if so, how? thanks in advance

setoguro
05-22-2003, 08:42 AM
Were did you install LILO? You may of messed up the MBR. I thinking you'll have to fdisk/mbr and then reboot using you XP install disk to do a repair of your boot environment which I have no idea how to do because I don't use XP. Maybe a XP user will jump in a help out with that. Then you'll have to reinstall Linux and install LILO to you / partition.

CuratoR
06-09-2003, 04:47 AM
Mandrake doesn't normally overwrite the windows boot info. What are youtryin to say, Mandrake has overwritten the windows boot info and completey taken over. Or, you feel annoyed by the Linux boot loader, wants XP boot loader to do the job. Or, you don't want Linux anymore, just wan't to boot straight to XP and thats it. It would help if you be more specific.

CuratoR.

Rick
06-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Depending on the Boot loader you installed with Mandrake
You can set the default to boot to what ever O/S you want

If you installed Grub you only need to edit the configuration file and change the default to XP
if you installed Lilo itís a bit more involved
You need to run a lilo command with the exact text of the boot command line.

Then when you boot into linux and want to reboot
It will boot with the default
For example XP or anything else you want

Budfred
06-09-2003, 07:41 PM
I just noticed that you didn't say you loaded Linux in a separate partition. You did load it on a separate partition didn't you????:confused:

viju
06-17-2003, 08:53 AM
I have win98 oprating system.Yesterday I added Mandrake Linux 8.2 in my PC.It boots properly but pC prompts me to type local host login.I do not what to do so I type my name.Then I am asked to type password.Since I did not enter any password while installation,I press Enter then I get message login incorrect.I donot know what to do.What is localhost login?:confused:

YODA74
06-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Unless you specified a host name for your computer, or get that information from a network, your mandrake install will call your machine localhost.localdomain by default. When you get to that initial prompt, it is asking you to log in to your system. If you created a user account during install, you can log in using that name and password. If you didn't create a user account when installing then you can log in as the super user, also known as root. The root password is the system password you assigned during install. It is highly recommended that you create at least one user account during install, or by using the user configuration tool or the useradd command afterwards.

viju
06-17-2003, 02:33 PM
Though I choose user name,I did not gave any system password I left password field blank.So what do I do?Simply pressing Enter did'nt help.:confused:

viju
06-20-2003, 02:48 PM
I could now login,but I get message [vijay@localhost.vijay]$
How to start office work station kword,kspread?:confused:

setoguro
06-23-2003, 07:13 PM
type "startx" that should get you to the KDE desk top and from there you can do anything with no problem.

viju
06-29-2003, 01:06 AM
I reinstalled Mandrake 8.2 after repartioning the disk.Now I get KDE desktop but I could not configure Internet.My modem is 56Kbps Internal WINTMODEM.I tried all COM ports.

OS windows 98 and Manrake Linux 8.2.

mjc
06-29-2003, 01:30 AM
You may be out of luck with the modem. Linux has very poor support for internal software modems...they are called Winmodems for a reason....they only work in Windows. If your modem has a Connexant chipset you maybe in luck.

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/

pave_spectre
06-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Also you might want to try here:

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/

Place i went to get my winmodem up and running. Also with winmodems they often run very slowly under linux so you might find it more hassle than its worth. My 56k internal would only run at 9600 max. It might be easier to invest in an external hardware modem.

mjc
06-29-2003, 11:16 PM
I have had very good luck/speed with my Connexant modem, using the linux drivers available form the link I posted. Some Linux purists don't like those drivers, because they are not true "open source"...they are "company" drivers, but hey, they work.

I have also tried others with varying degrees of failure....the one that supposedly had drivers I could not get them to compile correctly from the source....

The other I tried, I got the drivers to work but it suffered from slow speed and frequent disconnects...

pave_spectre
06-29-2003, 11:44 PM
The other I tried, I got the drivers to work but it suffered from slow speed and frequent disconnects...

This sounds like what happened with my internal mjc, which was a connexant modem. In the end my uncle gave my an old external 56k that runs just fine.

viju
07-01-2003, 02:37 PM
I wrote to manufacturer of Winmodem.Their reply is

"Our Int modem doesnít support Mandrake Linux, it supports only Red hat Linux. Our Modem Chipset is Pctel Chipset."

Can anybody help further?