PDA

View Full Version : Ccna

funhousegroup
05-30-2003, 09:44 PM
I am starting self study to pass the CCNA. I have no experience on actual reouters except for a couple small office jobs.Can anyone tell me of anygood free study material or maybe even router emulator for practicing on.
Thanks, FH

pave_spectre
06-17-2003, 03:25 AM
The cisco site has a useful flash router simulator for learning basic configurations.
The CCNA text book also has a CD that contains a number of simulators for specific aspects of router configurations, that are supposed to be done as you read through the relevant sections in the book or other study material.

deddard
10-12-2003, 07:30 PM
Just make sure you are studying the relevant material. I'm at college studying my CCNA, and have just switched versions.
Up until last week we were taking the version 2 tests, but as CISCO are in the process of switching to version 3, we've decided to switch now (our books are for version 3 anyway)
Version 3 tests and exams are supposed to be harder (I'm having trouble logging on for my tests, so I haven't seen them yet), being several choices from many possibilities, rather than a simple multiple choice.

The official book is pretty good, and in class we've been told that we will mainly be dealing with the bottom layers (1-4) of the OSI model, so get yourself some good material on that. I've got a couple of good books on networking and TCP/IP which I really like - SAMS teach yourself (24 hours etc) which really simplify things. CISCO seem to like complicating matters - I've seen their subnetting section and think it is complicated for the sake of it. The one problem with CISCO official books is that you have to endure the 'Cisco make a lovely load of equipment which is just spanky for the requirements of everyone on the planet' type of BS, which I could frankly do without.

Bear in mind that you definitely need CISCO specifics, even when dealing with the OSI model, as they tend to give different names to packets etc at the various levels.

Material for the Network+ (CompTIA) will probably be useful. The official CISCO book (Cisco Networking Academy Program CCNA 1 and 2, ISBN 1-58713-110-2, third edition) states that it prepares you for the Network+ exam, so presumably it also works the other way around.

best of luck with your studies

Jiggy
10-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Take a look see here, link (http://www.examnotes.net/forums/index.php?).

Beta Geek
10-25-2003, 01:04 PM
I'm working on my CCNA, finished semesters 1 and 2, haven't started 3 yet because in my class we are working to get our A+ first, and I just finished that in about 6 weeks (see the Just started taking the A+ class offer by my HS!!! thread). I'll probably have to wait 2 weeks or so to take the certification exams because of lack of openings.

Anyway, at the career center that I am at, I am using the companion guide textbooks. I'd also recommend the CCNA Self-Study Guide (ISBN: 0-7668-5448-5)

Beta Geek