PDA

View Full Version : vB code

Steve
06-16-2003, 12:17 PM
For the past few days, I have lost the use of the vB code buttons. Not a big deal. I can still enter the code by hand. But I was wondering if anyone has an idea what happened. Probably user error of some sort or other.

malcore
06-16-2003, 12:36 PM
Steve, have you lost the buttons entirely???

Check your options in user control panel to see if vB code quick links is off.

Steve
06-16-2003, 12:47 PM
Thanks Malcore.

A little update. I tried it on one of my other computers and they work fine. This is my daughters computer. The one that had the trojan the other day. I wonder if that has anything to do with it or if that is just a coincidence.

What would cause the vB code to not work on just this one computer?

Steve
06-16-2003, 01:37 PM
Problem solved :D

I found you have to have Active Scripting ENABLED to use the vB code buttons. ;)

Live and learn! :cool:

mjc
06-16-2003, 01:47 PM
Active Scripting includes javascripting, which is what they (vB code) requires...

Fruss Tray Ted
06-16-2003, 06:02 PM
Mjc,
There was a post by you recently in that you mentioned to a poster that he should disable Active Scripting. I wonder how many lil' puppydogs read your post, went and looked, found it enabled, disabled it and then found out it interferes with something they wanted to do....__

HEY! My Smilie doesn't work! What's up with that?!? It's all your fault!!!

(Mumble mumble, now where was that durn thing... Ah, CP> IO> Security> Custom Settings> Scroll down.... Enable __ nuthin. Damn! Gotta Reboot...)

Seriously though, mine ain't workin no more... :( BRB Gotta go find me-a cyberslapper... Ahh, This one oughta do...

http://www.nwrc.usgs.gov/world/images/trout.jpg

Fruss Tray Ted
06-16-2003, 07:27 PM
Err... checking if :p works... Yep. Whole again :)

That trout got the measles or what? ;)

'User error' is the fact that this post is in "Suggestions". Watchout Steve... Slime time.... ;) Yup, you've lost your 'buttons'... :D

mjc
06-17-2003, 01:15 AM
Which is worse....having a snail beat your cursor to the top of the monitor or a smilie not working?

Fruss Tray Ted
06-18-2003, 07:15 PM
So your suggestion/advice to all is to manually insert icons and smilies of the sort so that another security loophole is avoided. I'm a little unclear on (I'm manually doing the icons BTW and usually do anyway):

having a snail beat your cursor to the top of the monitor
Is this as you are being hijacked or some other form of malware is installing itself? Is it bandwidth tieup to help the malware do it's dastardly deed?

As I said, I went and disabled scripting, then sometime later, read this thread. I thought you might have been trying to free up resources of some sort for the poster with a smaller system. But I realize it's more a safety/personal/security issue and you were posting this in our best interests. Thank you for the info. I have once again disabled it in W98SE and will be sure to no matter what OS I use in the future. http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

BTW,
How would you like your trout, steaked or filéted? ;) I'll get out of your hair this weekend, promise, gotta go find more fresh ones...