PDA

View Full Version : cant' install window 98se

becklo
06-27-2003, 09:51 PM
hi guys.

need some help here. i just formatted my hard disk and when i try to install window, an error came up (just right after scan disk), says:

standard mode: fault at ms-dos extension (followed by some weird numbers e.g. e=0000)

and it jump back to H drive, which is my cd rom drive.

any idea why? thanx:)

Budfred
06-27-2003, 10:19 PM
You may have a problem with your hard drive. Run Scandisk or download and run the diagnostic software from the hard drive maker to see....

becklo
06-28-2003, 12:10 AM
i ran scandisk and didn't find any error.

the error message pop up right after the system is ready to copy window 98se to drive C.

thanx

Budfred
06-28-2003, 12:46 AM
If you are doing a clean install, it may be worthwhile to zero fill your hard drive and try again. This means writing zeros over the entire drive and it will get rid of anything that might be lingering there to give you trouble. You would have to repartition and reformat when you are done, then install Windoze. You can get a zero fill utility from the hard drive maker's website.

If that isn't an option, say more about what was going on that you had to reformat and reinstall in the first place since that may give clues to the problem.

becklo
06-28-2003, 03:34 AM
i was listening to mp3 when suddenly my comp start to hang. i restarted it and before the windows is loaded into my system ,i received an error saying that my window configuration is incorrect and ask me to run windows setup before shutting off by itself completely.

so i formatted my hard disk and when i try to install windows, the same error message will pop up. any ideas? thanx in advance....:)

Budfred
06-28-2003, 04:02 AM
If you had just downloaded the MP3 you may have picked up a virus hitchhiker depending on what you were using to download.

I would probably try the zero fill since you have formatted anyway. This will return the hard drive to nearly pristine status so that it should be able to install easily. If you do that, shut the computer down completely for a few minutes before starting the install so that if you do have a virus, it can't hide in RAM. If it doesn't work under these circumstances, you probably have a hardware problem....

Paul Komski
06-29-2003, 03:59 AM
This fault can be caused by a dirty CDROM.
http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/3056.html

If cleaning doesn't help then if you can get to copy the setup files to the HDD you should be able to run the install from there.

Sylvander
06-30-2003, 06:36 PM
And when Windows told you to run Windows Setup it didn't intend that you re-format first.
If you had run Windows Setup without re-formatting your Windows installation would be checked for errors, missing or corrupted files etc.
It would also check and correct your configuration settings.
You wouldn't have lost all your files.

It's a good idea to make different partitions, keep the C: partition as small as possible by keeping only the Windows files and Program files and some bits & pieces on it.
Put the Windows installation files in a partition other than C: and install from there using a startup disk to run "Setup.exe" then leave them there for good.

becklo
06-30-2003, 10:11 PM
guess what?one of the ram slots spoilt. that coz the prob. now the system running fine (i hope:p ). anyway, thanx. learn alot from you guys!!

Paul Komski
07-01-2003, 03:17 AM
Nice one becko. Does that mean you just shifted the RAM to another slot?

becklo
07-01-2003, 09:50 PM
nay, i got two 128mb sdram, so i just took out one of it. now my comp running bit slower, sob sob....:p