PDA

View Full Version : Guarddog

setoguro
06-28-2003, 11:53 AM
I'm using Guarddog and have it set up but I really don't know if it's set up right or if it's really working. How would I know? I get no pop ups like with Zonealarm no nothing it just sits there. Yes I may be just too paranoid I'm always looking over my shoulder. Is there something better than Guarddog. I use it because it was easy to set up. Had to start some were I felt like running naked down a city street with out a firewall.

Budfred
06-28-2003, 02:38 PM
I used to use Guarddog until I realized that it was the reason that I had to keep rebuilding my system - reformat, reinstall. It is buggy as hell unless they have really cleaned it up since I was using it. There are several free firewalls you may want to check out. A lot of people have said good things lately about Kerio and Sygate. You can find them in mjc's security thread. (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15179) I am not sure if they come in Linux flavors....

And now I just have to say: "Who let the dogs out, who, who, who. Who who who".....

setoguro
06-29-2003, 01:10 AM
The who let the dogs out gave me a chuckle and put a smile on my face. :D

I'll give Kerio and Sygate a look and take a hard look at what's out there. I haven't had any trouble with Guarddog screwing up the works I'm just not sure if it's working all that good and have no idea how to tell if it is.

Deagle
06-29-2003, 01:22 AM
Yeah Sygate is good but Zone Alarm is more newbie friendly if you don't mind the expression.:)
Yeah and lol at Budfred singing the Bahamen's song:D

setoguro
06-29-2003, 01:22 AM
looks like Kerio and Sygate are only for Windows. I'll keep looking.

pave_spectre
06-29-2003, 08:51 PM
you might want to try firestarter.

I had it installed for a while and it looked ok but it didnt run well on my system because i had both ipchains and iptables running which messed it up so you would need to check your setup there. I believe it uses tables rather than chains.

It ran a short wizard to determine my needs and then tried to automatically build some firewall rules. Ive heard its meant to be quite good if you dont want to go to the trouble of learning ipchains/tables but just want a decent firewall quickly.

setoguro
06-29-2003, 09:02 PM
Firestarter sounds like the thing I'm looking for thanks.

mjc
06-29-2003, 11:29 PM
As user posted this link, at another one of my haunts....

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/

A pretty nice table of equivalent software. There is a pretty good list of firewalls.

setoguro
06-30-2003, 07:09 PM
That's a real sweet link. Many thanks for that one.