PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modem

jmjones162
06-28-2003, 04:13 PM
I have a high speed cable modem that I recieved through my cable company. I'm getting a new computer and need to switch it over. Is there anything special I need to know? Or is it strictly switching over the hardware?

Budfred
06-28-2003, 06:45 PM
It is mostly switching over the hardware and installing the software. Shouldn't be too tricky....

jmjones162
06-28-2003, 09:15 PM
That's what I needed to know. Thanks.

Sylvander
07-02-2003, 07:21 AM
When the Telewest technician tried to install, on my PC, the Network Interface Card for the cable modem to connect to, the NIC wouldn't work.
This was despite installing the necessary drivers.

He refused to go into the BIOS and said that if I could get it working he'd complete the installation.

I found that I needed to "Force Update the ESCD" by going to "PnP/PCI Configuration" and setting "Reset Configuration Data : Enabled" [then "Save & Exit Setup" of course].

This made the BIOS re-detect all the hardware [including the new NIC], re-assign resources [to include the NIC] and record the new assignments in the ESCD table.
Now that the NIC was being assigned resources it was no longer disabled in device manager and, of course, the cable modem worked.