PDA

View Full Version : Trashed Mandrake

setoguro
07-03-2003, 01:37 PM
I trashed out Mandrake last night and can't get back in. I was playing with bash (yes in root too) and I guess I did something very bad :rolleyes:. This morning when I went back I chose to boot into Mandrake from the NT boot menu all I get are a bunch of 9s on the screen. The boot disk won't work either (of course the floppy is giving me problems too and I need to change it out or the cable). Well anyway I think I'm sunk and have to reinstall which is no big deal I figured I'd be doing it eventually but just not this soon. Any one have ideas on this?

pentachris
07-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Doesn't Mandrake have a "repair" option when you boot to the installation disk? I think so - you might want to check that out.

setoguro
07-03-2003, 05:37 PM
I gave that a try too but it crapped out and won't get me in either looks like I'm out of luck and my fate is sealed. This will give me a chance to try out a couple recovery utilities I have to see if I can get in and grab some of the stuff that's in there. :)

setoguro
07-04-2003, 05:28 PM
Hehe the boot disk worked after I changed out the floppy. Now all I have to do is figure out what I broke and fix it. Could be Lilo that I have to reedit and recopy linux.bin to my primary partition.

setoguro
07-04-2003, 07:21 PM
Yes! I'm back in busnes.
With the terminal I
su - to root
vi /etc/lilo.conf - Looked at lilo and didn't see anything that looked a miss maybe could of taken some lines of but I didn't want to play there today (I can always break it later) so I left it alone.
q - quit vi and went back into the terminal
/sbin/lilo
dd if=/dev/hda9 bs=512 count=1 of=/mnt/floppy/linux.bin - saved linux.bin to a floppy
exit - exited root
exit - exited the terminal

Rebooted into w2k from there I copied over the old linux.bin on c drive with the new one and it worked. I can get back into linux from W2k's boot menu now. :D

pentachris
07-04-2003, 08:19 PM
Nice job! :)

Prolly better than I could've done. :o

Your Linux kung fu is better than mine. :rolleyes: :D

setoguro
07-05-2003, 05:11 AM
Really I spend most of my time dazed and confused messing with Linux but also I can be fearless stomping around like a bull in a china shop because I've got nothing to loose. I actually expect to trash it beyond repair a number of times. I'm not doing to bad with this install it's been going about a month. But that's just because I haven't had the time to beat on it very hard. I may have this stomped into dust by the end of this long weekend. If I stay away from root maybe I can keep it to just surface damage. :)