PDA

View Full Version : A rant, and maybe a clue?

kayofcircles
07-09-2003, 11:38 AM
Three times this week I have composed a post on a thread, then gone to check a link I wanted to include..and then gone Back (only one) to find all my text gone. The second time, I remembered to copy/paste before going off to check link...but this morning, I forgot and had to start over again. Then almost immediately after that, I went ahead and copied/pasted before going to make sure link was still viable..and post was still there when I got back. The time I lost the post today, there was a popup on the Favorites link..but not on the second link..so could a popup somehow erase my post?

I know there are workarounds to this problem. Like Copy/Paste to a draft, or Control N to open a second browser window, or maybe do Pete's thing he told me about long ago..copy link from list, and insert into post..and then could check link after submitting the post...but all of those require that you remember to do them first, which on some mornings for me is difficult.

Argh..just needed to blow off some frustration.

mjc
07-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Kay, I think the real root of the problem is not in the forum software nor really anything you are doing, I think it is how IE updates its cache. I have not had a single instance of loosing a post by going back/forward/elswhere and back to the post while using Mozilla.

Have you tried using the preview option before checking the link?

Steve
07-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Kay, it happens to me every time. Now I ALWAYS open a new browser window and copy and paste the url.

Mark Miller
07-09-2003, 04:41 PM
It happens to me too, but not all the time. I am glad it's not just me. Your right of course who can remember when your trying to write a great post.
Mark:)

Fruss Tray Ted
07-09-2003, 07:43 PM
...since I started 'right clicking' "Open in New Window" option and having several windows either open or minimized.

I could search for something right now, as I'm composing this post, by using another window whether it is one already being used or otherwise.

(Now I'm opening the original thread to look and see if anything else needs attention or a share of experiences);) I see what MJC means in that it is a 'refresh' thing that happens when using the back arrow/button.

Checking out some links are best done on their own 'page' (one' you've opened separately), so if it goes haywire in any way, you're not out the only window you have open to the internet or such... and need to reopen from scratch, rewrite all your work, blah, blah...

MultitaskBARing, the ONLY way to fly the 'Internut'! :D :eek: :o

Edit
When you finally remember to open the reply screen ONLY with a right click, there is NO arrow to go back and 'erase' your reply. 'Nuff said...

kayofcircles
07-10-2003, 10:36 AM
Thanks for responses, and nice to know I am not alone. My biggest problem is that CRS stuff. I have had problems with our ISP for awhile now, and keep forgetting to check into some local ISPs. This morning, I am on the fourth "connection"...and remembering to hit Send/Receive every couple of minutes (and yes, I know I could set OE to check for messages, but I prefer to do it manually..:) ) already taxes my wee brain. And then you add the "difficulty" of composing posts while getting fingers to actually type the correct letters...and it's a wonder I can function here at all...:D

mjc: No, because never mastered Pete's method. Have used Preview to check a link, and didn't lose post then..or at least, don't remember losing it. My son downloaded Opera for me, and giving it a try is definitely on my lengthy "to do" list.

mjc
07-10-2003, 11:35 AM
The nice thing about Opera and even nicer in Mozilla is the use of tabs. In Opera you have to right click on a link to open in a new tab, in Moz you click with the middle mouse button.

But both of them have better cache handling than IE.

Also double check your cache settings in IE. Internet Options => Temporary Internet FIles => Settings and make sure that it is not set to "Every visit to the page". You could set it to never, but then it wouldn't update pages unless you refreshed them (and even then it may not unless you empty the cache first).

malcore
08-04-2003, 05:40 AM
I know I'm a little late in this thread, but a nice easy workaround to this other than Ctrl+N or right click>Open new window, is to press the Shift button when clicking on Post Reply. This will open the Reply window in its own window. This will work in IE for any link you wish to open in a new window.

It seems to work in Opera as well.;)

gracious
08-04-2003, 04:48 PM
Ok, wow, :( I am feeling like a really dummy here. You know I have never had a problem like that Kay and it is because I am just use to opening a new window to reply to posts...but geez, I would go through the long way- file, new, window....I had know idea you could do SHIFT and then REPLY TO POST nor did I know you could do CTL+N....I learn so much from you guys, you have no idea. Now, how did you know these things, were you born with this knowledge? :D