PDA

View Full Version : Looks like my wish may come true!

LadyGrey
07-17-2003, 06:22 AM
Well, it looks like I just may get my wish here. The local community college is offering a 4 credit course in PC Troubleshooting and Repair. It's at an offsite campus, in fact the same high school Donnie just graduated from:) Very close to home for me. 15 week course and it gives the basics of all the components of a computer, how to find out what's wrong with them and how to fix them!! I'm so excited I can't stand myself. My only worry is the placement test. I haven't set foot in a school in over 25 years and I can't remember the last time I used geometry or algebra at the grocery store or to bake a cake! Been a domestic engineer for many years now. I'm very worried about that. Just waiting for the transcripts from high school and the one college I attended back in the 70's is enough to send me to the store for a beer!
If you all know of any math sites that are geared for old people who need to brush up real quick I would sure appreciate it. I've been on a few sites already, studied for 11 hours one night or day, can't remember which. The result was a headache!:D
Thanks and wish me luck! LG;)

Sylvander
07-17-2003, 07:41 AM
It would be interesting to see how well a Maths problem would be handled in the ďAfter HoursĒ forum.

It sounds interesting and Iím excited for you:D
I hope the course is fun:)

When my wife went back to work she took a course to update her existing skill [to include computer use etc].
Then she worked as a volunteer for a while to get practise.
When she applied for jobs and told them how much she expected to be paid they said that was impossible.
But it wasnít.
She eventually got what she considered fair pay.

My sisterís husband is 70 years old and still works part time and earns at a very good rate.
[I donít know if the course is for fun and acquiring knowledge or whether you intend to earn money at it.]

TRY THESE
http://www.gopfert.freeserve.co.uk/
http://school.discovery.com/homeworkhelp/webmath/

stefanus
07-17-2003, 10:56 AM
Lady Grey. I am 67yrs and have recently completed a Computor Upgrade and Repair course ( Home Study ) and passed with distinctions, 90% pass out of 100. I hope that encourages you. The Math was not too difficult and that is good comeing from moi. If I can help in any way do not hesitate.
Don`t Worry be Happy
Stefanus
ps. It only took me 9 mnths :D

IGNORANCE IS BLISS ( SOME TIMES )

Budfred
07-17-2003, 11:36 AM
I just hope you find it challenging. I suspect you already know far more about computers than you realize and you may find that they don't teach much more than you already know. On the other hand, if you have to have this class as a prerequisite for more advanced classes, it could be worthwhile even if it is mostly review. Good luck regardless...;) :cool:

Whyzman
07-18-2003, 12:52 AM
Well LG, as creatures of habit change usually elicits discomfort. It is the discomfort that often stymies personal growth.

I applaud your decision to enter into the realm of discomfort. The journey for one such as you will no doubt be rewarding! ;)

LadyGrey
07-19-2003, 07:33 AM
Thank you all so much for the words of encouragement! :) I really need them. Thank you for the links Sylvander! Yes, I am intending to maybe earn a bit if I can get enough knowledge. On a very very small scale, just a neighborhood type of thing and honest too. If I can't fix it I will say so and have them take it somewhere else. I'm so excited about this class and I've been working very very hard to brush up on my basic math skills, just hope it's enough. I got the transcript from my college yesterday, now just waiting for the high school one. I'm going this next wednesday to apply and take the test. Heaven help me:eek: Cross your fingers for me!!
LG;)

ErnieK
07-19-2003, 08:56 AM
LG
Try the following site (Leeds University in the UK) Free online tutoring and working examples of the basic concepts.

The first link on the page(BBC) takes you to pages that gives working problems, It gives explanations in easy details. And best of all, it gives the answers to each problem through another link at the bottom of each page.

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/skillscentre/students/skillsgrid/basic_maths.htm

LadyGrey
07-20-2003, 08:34 AM
Awesome site Ernie!!! Thank you so much! It's just what I needed. Together with the others I may just get enough knowledge crammed in the old brain to squeak through this test. It would be such a shame to fail that test and have all the things I know about computers already go to waste ( not that I know all that much). It would just be a shame if I couldn't get into a class to learn more just because I don't and never have used algebra at the grocery store. At least that's the way I see it. I spent all day yesterday at the various sites, they all explain things in different ways and sometimes I will pick up real fast on one thing at one site and then be lost. So I go to one of the others. It is working out real good like that. My hubby is into this too, of all people!:D He's a sprinkler-fitter for fire protection, 26 years now, and uses measurements and fractions all day long. So he's trying to help with just the very very basic things. Well, back to work. Thanks again. LG;)

ErnieK
07-20-2003, 06:46 PM
LG
Stick in there.

Learning is hard for some of us. But RE-learning is even harder.

For myself I have difficulty in seperating what I THINK I know and what the lesson is actually teaching me. Also it is good to hear that hubby is giving his full support.

I won't wish you good luck, that is just a turn of the card or a throw of the dice, but I will say, I hope that you will find the abillity to percivere and to succeed. And when you do pass your exams let us know.

LadyGrey
07-24-2003, 12:20 AM
Hi Guys and Gals,
Took the placement test tonight. Passed the Writing and Reading ones with no problem. Failed the Math big time!! This was just the general college math mind you, was given the option to take the algebra test but didn't, knew better! First of all I can still go to the class on PC Troubleshooting, there are no prerequisites on having to have the math. Thank goodness. Second, there will be a course offered this next summer at the high school by the college on basic math. I plan to take that, finances allowing. I don't feel bad at all, my "class" consisted of three other women, all three younger than me, but not by much and one of them a youngster, just 3 or 4 years out of high school. We all failed the math!! Big time!! The youngster thought she could take the algebra but took one look at the questions and had the admin. change it! So, I guess I did ok, considering not having had to use any of that for 29 years. I finally did the math and it has been 29 years since I did anything in a classroom or used anything that I learned there.
I have sprained my clicker thumb and will have to sit for a day or two or three for it to heal up.:rolleyes: That's what I get for being on the computer for two solid weeks trying to study!:p
My classes start for me on Aug. 25. Mondays from 6 pm till 9:40 pm. They end on Dec. 11th I think? I am very very excited about them, I hope to be able to learn the basics of computers and how to find out what is wrong with them and fix the darn things!!:cool: You all will be inundated with questions to no end so just prepare yourselves!:) When I told the adviser that I was just totally into and could not get enough of, the insides of a computer, she looked at me and said "well to each his own". She thinks I'm nuts for sure!:D
I'm worn out with the worrying more than anything else I think, so I'm gonna hit the sack and read some more Lord Of The Rings! I've read all four books now going on 5 times. I have to tell ya, I'm Elf happy! Just got a thing for Elves!:D
Thanks so much for all the support and help and encouragement! LG;)

ErnieK
07-24-2003, 04:28 PM
Congratulations LG.:D

You will shortly be sitting up there with our Guru's. Stick in there ;)

iisbob
07-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Yes, definately Congrats!

We can always use more Women in the IT field-get's boring looking at the same old grizzley guys ever year at IT conferences ;)

papertech
07-29-2003, 05:13 PM
Hey LadyGrey!

I've been offline for 3 weeks, so couldn't say it sooner, but.....big congrats and best of luck.

When I started MCSE classes at age 40 (almost 6 years ago) I had a general knowledge of hardware and os's, but had NO network knowledge at all. It was so overwhelming at times that I cried all the way home after many of the classes. Luckily, I have a supportive husband like you do and somehow I got through it. One of the hardest parts was not having anyone on my level to talk to. My peers were tired of hearing "computer this and that" yet I felt too "dumb" to talk to any gurus. Today, computer maintenance and repair is my livelyhood. Just a small shop like you hope for.

You definitely have the addiction (as your adviser would confirm!) I know you will do well. And don't be afraid to ask those "dumb" questions here and in class.

LadyGrey
07-29-2003, 09:21 PM
Thank you all so much for all the votes of confidence!! I'm all enrolled now and tuition is paid so just waiting for the classes to begin. Been doing lots of lurking around here, reading everything I can.
Papertech Thank you for letting me know that it can be done! Believe me, questions I got plenty of and will be asking them at every opportunity!:D The networking is gonna give me problems too, I've got a good handle on the hardware, at least I know RAM from ROM and W2K I'm pretty good with but I've only run that in a home environment, not a business one which is what it was made for so I have no idea of what it can really do.
I have trouble too with anyone to talk to about computers. My friends just call me to tell me their computer problems and what do they do to fix it and that's the extent of computer talk with them and hubby as much as he tries just doesn't understand and so looses interest. Oh well, when the computer bug bites ya that's just how it is. I think my brother would be amazed at me, it's two years ago today that I lost him and ended up with his computer. I think it was the desire to never let anything go wrong with it that really got me started on the insides and how to upgrade and how to keep it running good, what to do when anything funny did happen. Lots of questions and lots of help later I think I got a handle on some of it.:)
Thanks again guys and gals.
LG;)

LadyGrey
08-19-2003, 06:59 PM
Ok, class starts next monday night! Remember I've not set foot in a classroom for 29 years here. I've been going through all the old archives and came across Sea69's posts about tool kits and diagnostic programs and oh boy, now I'm really scared. I can do simple upgrades, I can figure out most things that are wrong with a home computer, lord knows I've figured out enough of mine ( with lots of help) but lately I've been doing pretty well with simple things. Like Donnies computer, I finally figured out what to do with it and it's back up and running very well. Didn't have to ask but a question or two on that so I am getting better at it. I really hope that Sea was talking about a huge shop that takes in 30 computers a day and not what I want to do; which is just a few in a week or so. I've got alot of friends at the local SuperCenter, you know WallyWorld, used to work at the old store, bout 5 years till it killed me. They all have got that darn blaster worm and I know how to clean it, I really do, but I'm afraid to try. I could use some more of the wonderful esteem boosters that you all deal out from time to time, just so I have the nerve to show up at the first night of class:eek: :D
LG;)
Please excuse the spelling, iespell not installed on the laptop.

jabarnutcase
08-19-2003, 07:11 PM
Not to worry LG! You can do it!
We're all here to cheer you on.
Don't worry about it- Heck if you already knew everything, there would be no reason to go to school now would there! :p

Just keep plugin' away and you'll do fine! ;)

Budfred
08-19-2003, 09:15 PM
And I still think you are going to have trouble staying awake for the first few classes. I think you know a lot more than you think you know and it will take them awhile to catch up to the point that it will be challenging for you....

Have fun!!:p :) :p

papertech
08-20-2003, 04:21 PM
OK LadyGrey, time for true confessions.

In my very first MSCE class, while the instructor described the features of NT4.0 os, I asked the following question..."You mean that an operating system is just another program?" The rest of the class sighed in unison. I cried all the way home. But I still made it thru and beyond. You will too. Try to get there early, but if you arrive later, take a deep breath and walk in proudly.

Be sure to keep us updated on your progress.

gracious
08-21-2003, 10:15 AM
Lady, I am so sorry that I jumped in so late! I think it is wonderful!!!! Just think of it as an adventure. You have nothing to lose but so much to gain! I have thought many times about going back to school, nursing primarily. I am 42 and I can tell you, your first instinct is NO WAY but all those learning tools you have used in the past will all come back, you'll see. Go forward, don't look back. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! ;)

stefanus
08-22-2003, 08:08 AM
Lady Grey, there are a good many interesting books on the subject you intend to study. One or two that I found very useful are PC Service & Repair by W. Mathes and comes with a diskette, and of course the American series PC Repair and Upgrade for Idiots. Not only informative but also some very humorous remarks. Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy the course as much as I did and am still learning (That`s why I subscribe to these forums,) plus I enjoy the company and humour
Have a nice day
Stefanus ;)

LadyGrey
08-22-2003, 01:21 PM
You all are just so awesome, thank you so much!! Just the shove I need to get me there. I'll let you know what happens. I hope the first night will be the worst and then I'll be ok!:)
LG;)