PDA

View Full Version : Lindows?

goober
07-20-2003, 11:09 PM
Does anyone have any info on LindowOS? I saw a computer at WalMart:rolleyes: that had it and figured it was their cheap rip off version of windows and thought no more of it. Then today I saw a listing for it on a site and read some reviews and was surprised at how well they seem to like it. Supposed to run like Linux and look like Windows...?

Does anyone know anything about it?!

can't spell!:mad:

Budfred
07-21-2003, 12:12 AM
It is a version of Linux that tries to act like Windoze and use many of the same programs, with varying degrees of success. The thing that most people don't like about it is that while it is free, it requires that you pay a yearly subscription fee to download programs from its online files in order to have software to use. While this is far cheaper than Windoze software, it is more than other Linux distros charge (free). I think it is about $125 a year now. Windoze actually sued Lindows over the name and lost. Walmart is offering it as a way to further cut the cost of PCs. It is available other ways as well.

goober
07-21-2003, 09:06 PM
Thanks Budfred!

iisbob
07-22-2003, 05:04 PM
i did download a copy to see what distro it was based on, debian from the looks; undr the GNU liscense they have to allow the source code for free-like a any linux distro.

i don't think much of it-just a pretty XP-like Xwindow kernel( possibly KDE based? ), and they use WINE for windows compatability-you can gte Mandrake and do the same ( or Redhat, etc... )for a lot less, with 10 times the online support.

Or go with Suse-not as friendly as mandrake, but IMHO better, ( it's my fav distro ).

pentachris
07-23-2003, 12:08 PM
Here's (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10639) a review at mageek. Looks very nice for a beginner.

setoguro
07-29-2003, 09:35 AM
I've become very curious now after reading that iisbob was checking out the source code for Lindows.It's been eating at me for days and now curiosity has got the cat and now he has to see it too. Not that I would know what I was looking at but how would I go about looking at the source code of a distro?

Budfred
07-29-2003, 11:03 AM
I am assuming it is true of all versions of Linux, including Lindows, that the source code is posted online. It is part of being an open source program...

You can look HERE. (http://www.lindows.com/lindows_products_search.php?q=Source%20code)

pave_spectre
07-29-2003, 11:13 AM
I believe you can only get the source code for the kernel and other open surce parts of the package, but not for the specific things that makes Lindows Lindows and no longer just debian. Otherwise they wouldnt have much luck charging for it. Unless the cost is just for subscribing to their server for application downloads, though I beleive apt-get still runs under lindows.

Budfred
07-29-2003, 11:18 AM
The cost is just for subscribing to their download service, but I think you might have to tinker with the source code to be able to use other Linux programs so that you wouldn't have to subscribe to their service.

setoguro
07-29-2003, 02:47 PM
What I have is CDs for Mandrake, Slackware, and Debian. Is there a way that I can look at their source code by opening the cd or a certain file on the CD with something?
I'm running Manrake 9.0.

Budfred
07-29-2003, 07:38 PM
Usually you find the source code in a separate package because it is not compiled. However, you should be able to find it on the website of each of the different versions.

setoguro
07-30-2003, 02:21 PM
Yes but... ( I'm not trying to be a pain in the a$$ with this) is there a way I can select a file and decompile it? I've disassembled programs before (not that I understood anything when I did it) but haven't done anything like that with Linux. I'm thinking now that maybe I should start a new post about this because this is getting way off the subject of Lindows.

Budfred
07-30-2003, 03:02 PM
Sorry, can't help you there, but if you start another thread I bet someone will.....;)