PDA

View Full Version : Installation Help

atc_traffic856
07-21-2003, 08:15 AM
I need alittle help here> I have 2 HDD installed one I am using win/pro/2000, already installed using ntfs file sys. The other HDD I just recently installed, and is formatted using partition magic, I formatted the HDD for FAT32, it is now designated as F:/ Drive>
All went well with the Installation and all Formatting is complete. The drive was recognized when I first booted the PC, and is showing the correct file system. I would like to install Linux just too this HDD which is now formatted as Fat32/ and is Labeled as Disk_2vol{1}.
With Partition magic I can reformat it to Ext2 file system if this is necessary? Is there a way to choose from either disk?

setoguro
07-21-2003, 08:50 PM
You will be able to set up the 2nd HDD during the Linux installation.

I've only used lilo so I can't help you with grub. The main thing is to install lilo to your linux root partition / which should be hdb"some number" and not to the MBR. Then what you'll need to do is to edit lilo and copy the file to a floppy and add it c drive. After that you have to edit your "boot.ini" file and add Linux to it. You can go here for some instructions on the whole process.
http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00011.asp

The biggest pain in the butt for me was trying to figure out how to get lilo edited and how to use vi to do the editing.

Also don't forget to make that boot disk during the installation!

atc_traffic856
07-21-2003, 09:50 PM
Thank you yes you are right and I can follow your excellent info> But another problem is that I can not get my Man9.0 installed on this new drive. The message relays that this is not a bootable disk, which is not true for I already installed this version on my other PC/ on that PC I had win98s installed as the bootable partition made active/ and then had no problem with installing the Linux, the disks that I am using are from the Mandrake store> I also have a advance bootmanager that displays when I do boot my win2000pro PC all the drives eg C: ntfs HDD and my new one that I installed F: Fat32 >
I have set the BIOS for booting from the CD>
Man9.0 will install on a FDISK LBA Fat32 formatted HDD> What it will do is re format to its file system and away you go> Once I get this damm thing too start installing then I can do all the rest that is necessary
for the dual boot. I have tried everything, although I am to believe with the win2000pro sp4 package may prevent anything happening to its boot system. I wonder if I were to take this HDD which is primary slave, and change it with the other HDD that is Primary Master also set the jumpers too master plug it in and then I would install the complete Man9.0 on it after I finish exchange back as it was from the start??

setoguro
07-21-2003, 11:56 PM
Just to make sure on something. These Mandrake 9.0 disks that you are using now to set up the duel boot with W2k you have already used these same set of disks to set up an other duel boot right?

atc_traffic856
07-22-2003, 08:22 AM
Yes I used the same disks with my other PC which at the time I installed them, I partition my hdd with FDISK to install 98s on one partition which was set for Active, and the remaining space >> approx. 20g I installed the man9.0, but I also made a bootable disk from the install operation. From there any time i wanted to use Linux I used the Bootable disk too accesss the Operating system>>

setoguro
07-22-2003, 10:03 AM
Just an idea you might be having problems because of the NTFS format on hda1. Try the idea of formatting the 2nd drive Ext2 with PM and give an other try. When I installed Linux with W2k it was on a NTFS format I was getting all kind of disk errors with PM. Then when I installed Linux with W2k on a FAT 32 format everything went fine and after I got everything up and running I converted W2k to NTFS. The only other thing I can think of other than switching out the hard drives (you should give that a try) is to convert W2k to a FAT 32 format but I don't know if PM will let you go NTFS to FAT 32.

atc_traffic856
07-22-2003, 02:24 PM
Yes my part/magic will convert ntfs too fat32/ I have not tried that route but will try, I have tried also to changing the HDD to Linux file system and than tried to go that route but to no avail, your sugestion sounds good. As I recall, I did read about what you have sugested, and it did work.>>