PDA

View Full Version : WINE for AOL 8.0 Plus?

BigBlue66
08-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Howdy Gang,

Complete noob here. Installed Red Hat 9.0 the other day. Still learning my way around.

Question I have is: Is there a windows emulator out there that I can use to run AOL under Red Hat 9.0??

If so, where the heck is it and how do I install it?

:rolleyes:

Inka
08-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Dont know about AOL running in Linux.. (didnt think anyone still used AOL! )

Easier than to use emulator is crossover read about / try it here..

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover/index.php

Otherwise it may be easier to use VMware & run windows in a VMware app :p

Good luck!

BigBlue66
08-04-2003, 01:48 PM
Thanks, link doesn't work. EDIT: Got it to work. You have one too many / in the address. Anyway, that plugin apparently supports lots of programs, but not AOL.

I'm just about to upgrade to broadband, but thought I would muck around with trying to get AOL to run under Linux, just for grins and giggles.

Any other ideas, peoples?

pave_spectre
08-05-2003, 12:27 AM
You could try shooting yourself in the foot just for giggles:eek:
That seems about as much use as running AOL with linux, though I suppose it may be possible to learn something. What that might be is beyond me.

setoguro
08-05-2003, 02:28 AM
You might want to look here (http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAOL.html) this may help you out. I'm not sure if ths is what you are looking for I haven't had time to read it or check it out myself.

BigBlue66
08-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Holy crap, Set, looks like that's just what I need. Thanks a million. :)

As for your suggestion, pave, um, err, I don't think I want to shoot myself in the foot.

Here we go again with people dissing AOL. Ya know, I've been using them for over seven years and never ever had a problem that wasn't of my own doing. I wish people would lighten up on AOL. They're nothing but as ISP to me, I don't use their browser. They also have some good stuff like popup controls, email virus checking, etc. in the latest version.

But with that said, I am planning to go with broadband real soon. Just need to get all my home machines networked together first.

Anyways, thanks again, Set.

Whyzman
08-05-2003, 10:06 PM
I agree BB AOL rocks! hehe...

Problems I've encountered were mostly my doing also...except for a modem detection problem early on...

I also use a different broswer...however, I rotate between the two to do Google searches...