PDA

View Full Version : Modem Not Recognized.......

08-05-2003, 11:04 AM
in Win98SE for some reason. I have a Dell GX1 that for some reason will not recognize a modem. Either pci or isa and I can't figure out whats going on. For example when the isa is installed Windows tells me the modem model number but then says it can't find a driver for it. The isa
is Creative modem blaster isa v.90 which is plug and play. My question is the Dell never had a modem in it but does come with a built in nic,
would this be causing the problem of not recognizing the modem? Is it in the configuration somehow?

mjc
08-05-2003, 04:24 PM
Have you gone and downlaoded the latest drivers from Creative?

Expanded them?

And then pointed the windows to their location when the "can't find driver" or where is the driver prompts popup?

08-07-2003, 02:22 AM
No we havn't gotten the latest driver available from Creative,we went another route which has brought us another problem. Instead of using a Windows based modem, I tried a US Robotics Sportster modem and Windows recognized the modem and even found a driver for it but now it tells me that the device is causing a resource conflict. How can I resolve this?

Inka
08-07-2003, 03:45 AM
Go into the modem properties & you will be able to manually change the resources to something that doesnt conflict. Or else find what its conflicting with & change that instead.

I am assuming the sportster modem doesnt have jumpers with which you can change things like its IRQ etc?

Inka

08-07-2003, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the reply. It is a US Robotics Sportster model 0484. There are some jumpers on the card but I don't have any info on what they do or don't do. May not have any effect.

mjc
08-07-2003, 12:37 PM
The jumpers are probably set to use COM1, you will need to go into the BIOS and disable COM1 from there.

Also it would probably be a very good idea to go into SafeMode and remove all the modems found in Device Manager and then let Windows install just the one physically installed (the USR).

08-07-2003, 01:39 PM
The only modem listed under device manager is the USR.Under properties tab of the modem it indicates com2. Under resources tab, it shows use automatic settings. Down below in the box under input output it shows
02F8-02FF, then interupt request 03 used by com port 4. When I uncheck use automatic settings, I get a message that says can not modify settings. I beginning to think I have a real flakey install of Win 98SE.

Budfred
08-07-2003, 02:29 PM
If you only looked in Device Manager from Normal Mode, it wouldn't necessarily show any additional drivers, that is why you need to boot into Safe Mode first.

08-08-2003, 01:39 AM
Just curious but why does safe mode do that?

Budfred
08-08-2003, 11:14 PM
I think it was Paul Komski who explained it recently, it involves making Windows boot in Real mode if I remember the explanation correctly. From there it is able to see things installed that don't show up in Normal mode. If you want the details, either do a search on MS Knowledge Base or search the forums in the last month for info about Safa Mode. You could also ask Paul if he was the one explaining it....

08-08-2003, 11:35 PM
Problem resolved by doing the suggestion by mjc and going into bios and
making changes in the conflicting serial port.Thanks for all the input
and I will be doing some extra reading on safe mode.

Paul Komski
08-09-2003, 06:09 AM
What is "Normal"? - is a longstanding philosophical rhetorical question.

What does "Safe Mode Do"? - is a different question altogether.

From memory, I had been referring to a situation where a floppy worked from a boot diskette but wouldn't work from within windows. Thus the question of 16 or 32 bit drivers came into question.

Real Mode = 16bit DOS Compatibility Mode. (This would be normal from a boot diskette).
Protected Mode = 32bit for Windows. (This would be normal from most versions of windows currently in use).

I may have referenced this bit of troubleshooting floppy drives (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;131690) and which includes accessing a floppy drive in Safe Mode but, to my knowledge, there had been no mention of modems or how Safe Mode functioned.

For the future, if quoting "stuff", it is good practice (and it is helpful) to actually publish the reference, whether it be on these forums or elsewhere. Uncoroborated quotes (and indeed uncoroborated personal opinions) are easily misinterpreted and can lead to the disemmination of misinformation and thus to conflict. It is just a lazy approach IMHO.

I've said my bit about a bee in my bonnet - so pax.

In Windows, what is 'Safe Mode' used for and why? (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question575.htm)

What is Safe Mode? (http://www.windowsgalore.com/windows.95/safemode.htm)

Safe Mode (http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci212935,00.html)

Budfred
08-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Paul,

"It is just a lazy approach IMHO."

If you are referring to my comments, I didn't actually "quote" anything. I wasn't trying to give a detailed explanation or even really answer the question, I was simply trying to provide a pointer in what I remembered to be the correct direction. I am personally not terribly concerned about why it works to see ghost drivers in Safe Mode, I am more concerned that you can. However, I had some memory of you explaining Safe Mode and thought that might be helpful for 1966. If you are not happy that I made reference to you, I would be happy to avoid crediting you in the future, but I do not like being scolded and told that I am lazy because I didn't take the time to track down your previous post for more detail. I you were not responding to my comment, I apologize for misunderstanding....

08-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Both of you do a fine job in responding to questions on the forum.

Paul Komski
08-09-2003, 11:34 AM
If I'm being quoted then please quote me correctly or just reference with a link.

That's all. Simple really. :D

If you don't know something or can't remember what someone said then why post about it at all?

There - that purges two bees from a bonnet! LOL ;)

PS

it involves making Windows boot in Real mode

You see I don't think that is what SafeMode is about. Autoexec.bat and Config.sys are certainly by-passed as is the current real-mode configuration and a minimal protected-mode configuration is loaded, disabling device drivers and using the standard VGA display.

Certainly VxDs (Virtual Device Drivers) are loaded but my knowledge of Safe Mode Operations is incomplete and I doubt if I would have tried to explain them.

For which see:-
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q156/1/26.asp&NoWebContent=1

malcore
08-09-2003, 12:32 PM
It was actually iisbob who recently gave his explanation of the difference between safe mode in Win9x and XP.

Reference, quote, link and whatever :

HERE (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23818&highlight=Safe+Mode)

Paul Komski
08-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Thanks malcore.

In fact, things showing up in safe mode but not in normal mode relates to "ghost" devices resulting from incomplete or repeated installations. It's not a bad idea whenever there are possible hardware conflicts, to check device manager in safe mode and thereby exclude any such "ghosts".

Budfred
08-09-2003, 02:27 PM
Paul,

And as I pointed out previously: I didn't quote anyone. I thought you were the one who said it because my memory of who said it is imperfect and you tend to know a lot about a lot. If I actually quote you, I will use clear evidence that it is a quote. My intention was not to quote, but rather to point 1966 in a direction in which he might find the answer. I do not appreciate being scolded for that.

Paul Komski
08-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Glad you got your problem solved 1966.

mjc was right on the button again.