PDA

View Full Version : Shortcuts

Flybywyre
09-02-2003, 09:58 AM
Why is it that when I place a short cut from a website onto my desktop, sometimes it comes up with the standard Windows short cut logo, othertimes, using exactly the same site and page, it comes up with the web/company logo, which is usually nice and colourful.
I would like all my Shortcuts to be the nice and colourful web/ company shortcuts but this is proving difficult, any one got any ideas?
Regards
FBW

Mitch Hatfield
09-02-2003, 11:19 AM
Try this:

http://www.bykeyword.com/pages/detail0/download-923.html

"Change Your Windows Icon and Desktop Properties

ActivIcons makes it simple to change properties for various icons on your Windows desktop and in Explorer, plus attributes for many other desktop settings. You can save and restore the desktop layout, repair corrupted icons, increase the size of the Windows icon cache to prevent future problems, and much more.

You can substitute your own icons for the standard Windows icons and cursors. In fact, ActivIcons goes through your Registry and lists out all of the icons found there, so that you can change those as well. You can even use ActivIcons to display animated icons on your desktop, or make the icon text labels transparent.

And best of all, you can use ActivIcons for as long as you wish, free of charge!"

:) :)

Paul Komski
09-02-2003, 06:53 PM
Mitch has pointed one way to customise shortcut icons. You can also RClick on any shortcut and choose properties and then change the icon to one of your choice (presuming you know how/where to find it).

The icon displayed by certain websites relates to the favicon.ico file usually placed in that website's root directory and usually downloaded when a favorite is saved; it will also often appear in the Address Bar.

Only some websites do this and even if they do it is a movable feast as to whether the icon is downloaded to your computer or not. Clearing the cache and reloading the page might get one to display if it has decided to "play hard to get".

If the website does download its icon, then adding it to your IE favorites AND choosing "Make available offline", will preserve the icon in the Temp Internet Files, when the cache is cleared (unless of course you also agree to delete offline content, when clearing the cache).

Flybywyre
09-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Thanks for your replies..........
It would seem that if you use the file/send/shortcut to desktop method of creating a shortcut you get the desired effect and the site logo (if they have one) comes up on the desktop nicely.
However if you do what I normally do and right click/create shortcut method then you get the boring Windows icon.
Mystery solved :)
Regards
FBW