PDA

View Full Version : How to set up account permissions?

Mark Miller
09-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Wireless connection good, but my problem is I don't know how to set up permissions for the computers to talk to each other so that I can share files. p4/desktop- wireless centrino notebook. the wireless router took care of the internet, but I can't get past the point of you do not have permission ,blah,blah,blah,
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Mark:confused:

Budfred
09-07-2003, 05:33 PM
This thread (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=143934#post143934) has a whole bunch of good ideas about how to do that. It involves setting up sharing for each drive, but it varies depending on your OS. The Practically Networking site linked to several times is a good one for specifics...

Mark Miller
09-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Thanks Budfred,
I read thru the whole 4 pages of post and really still don't understand. I am getting very frustrated. I think I'll move away from this for a day or 2 and then come back to it. At least the internet wireless connection is working very well and the widescreen centrino is very cool
Arghhhhhh
Mark:confused:

Steve
09-07-2003, 06:59 PM
Hi Mark,

When you right click on "Local Area Connection" on both computers, do you have "Client for Micro$oft Networks", "File and Printer Sharing for Micro$oft Networks", "QoS Packet Scheduler" and "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) installed and checked?

Steve
09-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Heh heh... I can understand you wanting to take a break. BUT, while you're taking a break, check to see if you have set up an identical account on both computers. Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Create a New Account.....;)

Mark Miller
09-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Thanks for sticking with me Steve,
Actually both computers have the same account names for both ,myself and my wife. Is this the problem? What should I change? I am so close I can't believe it. I keep getting to the point that says you do not have permission for this network. By the way should the network bridge be set up, some people have said no, that my problem is a permission issue.
As you can see my head is reeling. Also my internet connection between the 2 is great, but that was done by my wireless router.
Yes all the things have been checked.
Mark

Budfred
09-07-2003, 07:28 PM
Have you set your drives up for sharing? Right click on a drive in Win Explorer and select Sharing. If it is like Win2K, you may have to add a new name for the sharing since the default doesn't work for a reason that I don't understand. For example, my L: drive on my P4 was not showing up as L$, which I think was the default. I set it up as a new shared drive as LP4 and it works fine now....

Mark Miller
09-07-2003, 07:35 PM
Thanks Bud,
I'll try that as I was calling just 'c' but I don't think that's going to get me past my permission problem. I am getting to the point of telling my wife that if she wants anything off this computer to come in and get it. We live in a highrise and it no more than 50 feet any which way you go
;) :D :rolleyes:
Mark

Steve
09-07-2003, 07:47 PM
By the way should the network bridge be set up, some people have said no, that my problem is a permission issue.

Nah..that has nothing to do with it. That's just incase you want to bridge two different types of networks.

You've run the wizard on both computers, instead of the diskette? You have shut off the firewall?

It's only 2 computers running XPHome. It shouldn't be this hard. :(

Mark Miller
09-07-2003, 07:56 PM
Hey Steve,
I think I got it.
In the network wizard the first choice you have to make is whether this is the host computer to the internet or two I am connecting thru another whatever. I have been using the second because of my router maybe that's what's the problem?
You have been a true friend with this [almost a week]
Mark

Steve
09-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Yeh, yeh, give it a try...:)

Mark Miller
09-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Got it,
Let ya know later, maybe a private im as I'm sure everyone is tired of my problem with this.
Mark:D

Mark Miller
09-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Not worth an IM, it's just not going to work. Tommorrow I get on the phone
Thanks again
Mark:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Steve
09-07-2003, 09:03 PM
:( I was practicing my Walter Mitty dance and everything....:(

Steve
09-08-2003, 10:04 AM
Hi Mark, I had a thought this morning. If you choose "This computer connects to the internet directly or through a network hub" when you are setting up the your connection, XP will automaticlly enable the XP firewall and you wont be able to share files or printers on your own network.

You might want to see if that is what's happening.

Mark Miller
09-08-2003, 10:47 AM
Hi Steve,
Good morning. I thought of that too. I have turned off all the firwalls and went back and turned off the Xp firewall. I am in contact with HP/Compact now as both machines are theirs. I am sure it's something simple. I'll let you know.
By the way the Compaq X 1000 centrino notebook with 15.4 widescreen is awsome.
Thanks for the follow up
Mark

Jhorner1
09-09-2003, 08:40 AM
You don't need identical accounts on each machine, You need a user account on each machine with the same name as the computer name of the opposite machine.

Mark Miller
09-09-2003, 03:34 PM
I GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!!!!
Just had to change admin names by 1 letter and away we went. No set up wizard or anything. I knew I was missing something small.
Hey Steve we did it!!!!!
Sorry for the ramble but this has been goin for aweek.
Mark:D :D :D :D

Steve
09-09-2003, 04:35 PM
:D Hehe...it had to be something like that. What do you mean "Just had to change admin names by 1 letter"? Did you have it spelled wrong? :eek:

Mark Miller
09-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Hey Steve,
No, both computers had My name and my wife's name as admins. it seems you can't have exactly the same names both ways, so all I did was add our last initial 'M' and everything was cool. I have to remember to turn off the software firewalls and turn both computers on, but it works like a charm.
This was a good exercise in persevering.
Mark

Budfred
09-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Congratulations on getting it working. Now, I bet you can configure your firewalls to work with the network up... I haven't been able to get ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), but I have no trouble networking with 2 different firewalls running, one to each machine...

Mark Miller
09-09-2003, 08:56 PM
Thanks Budfred,
I never used ics, the router takes care of all that. If I just tried to share without the network wizard a week ago I would have found my little problem and been done.
They don't explain these things well enough, anywhere!!
The firewall problem is my own because I use the free McACrappy that came with my wife's aol [don't ask:D ] that will be changed soon.
Anyway the way to go is with a router and let it do its thing. They all come firewalls now also. [I still like having a software firewall also so that I can see whats going on.] Anyway hardware is to me always better than software, so try a router.
Mark:D :D
thanks again

Budfred
09-09-2003, 10:53 PM
I have an internal DSL modem, so a router doesn't do it for me. I can use the switch part of the router, but I would have to really mess with it to get the router part to work and it isn't worth it. I am still working on getting ICS to go, so eventually I will figure it out. It is probably one letter off like you found....:rolleyes:

Mark Miller
09-10-2003, 12:49 AM
Hi Bud,
Just out of curiosity , I think all you need is an rj45 coming out the back of the modem. If I am wrong, sorry.
Let me know how you are doing, bounce ideas off me. I've been doing this long I feel like I am a pro.
Mark

Budfred
09-10-2003, 08:07 PM
Thanks Mark,

I don't have a RJ45 connector on the modem, just phone connectors. I have another thread about it and I have tried all sorts of stuff. I have already returned the router since I found out it could only work in crippled form and then it might even cripple my networking. I am at the stage where I plan to put up screen shots of all the settings and see if anyone can tell me what I am missing, but I am letting it cool down a bit since I have the network and I don't really need the ICS right now and I am just plain tired of hassling with it.....:rolleyes:

Mark Miller
09-10-2003, 10:00 PM
That's exactly how I felt. Get away from it for a day or two. then start from scratch.
mark:)