PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Home or XP Professional ?

Mil
10-08-2001, 08:57 PM
I was wondering if anyone new which one might be better Windows XP Home or Window XP Professional. If itís anything like Windows 2000 Professional, maybe I should go for the professional series since it seems so much more stable. Any ideas ?

iisbob
10-08-2001, 09:39 PM
Unlesss you specifically want the XP, i'd stick with W2000, XP is nothing more than W2000 with added eye-candy.

I did see a few things i liked, like adding the themes control to the display properties tab, and the built in support for networking support control ( aka PC anywhere ) so that i could theoretically work on my relatives PC from my home without buying any 3rd party software.

But over all, i'd say wait at least another year until it's been out for awhile and MS has had a chance to work out some issues that are sure to crop up.

I've got WinXP professional, and after running it for awhile-can't really say i'm all that more impressed over it than Win2000 prof.

------------------
iisbob
"Ward, come upstairs and talk to The Beaver."
-- June (Mrs. Frisky) Cleaver

Mil
10-09-2001, 10:47 PM
I was thinking of ordering a Dell or Gateway computer and options for both were either Window ME, Window XP Home, or Windows XP Professional. It didn't have the option of going Windows 2000. I think I'll end up going with Gateway since I can get the same computer for about $400.00 less, and the problems I've seen with Dell would also lead me to this decision.

kenja
10-10-2001, 04:38 AM
All versions of XP are built on the "NT core", so I'd expect the Home and Professional versions to have equal stability. Here is the MS comparison (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp) of the two.

The only reason I can see for a home user to buy XP Professional would be to get the encryption option for files (third-party software exists for this, besides).

Jumby
10-12-2001, 11:24 PM
And isn't XP Professional good if you are going to network, which HOME can't do? I'm excited about xp; I hope it's as stable as they say. My biggest concern is hardware and software that are compatible with it. I see conflicting reports.

kenja
10-13-2001, 02:15 AM
Both versions have automatic 802.1x wireless network configuration and network setup wizard, so I'm sure a peer-to-peer network is possible with the Home edition. The Home edition can't join a Windows Server Domain.

[This message has been edited by kenja (edited 10-13-2001).]