PDA

View Full Version : Active directory DC setup

no-mbr
09-26-2003, 10:10 PM
Anyone sucessfully setup a working Microsoft AD DC on w2k for "training purposes"?

Can anyone point me to resources regarding the subject?

I've successfully setup a non-authoritive DNS server independently of an AD integrated setup but wish I had more info regarding the best practice for a test setup.

I know I can't use DNS over the internet, but I thought I could at least play with the LDAP and integrated DNS on a single Domain local to the clients and server.

Any ideas or websites? Thanks...

Covington
09-28-2003, 01:47 AM
I have done that several times. The system that I use for testing is not on the internet, so I just run dcpromo and use a fake domain name like gfpc.ca and let the wizard configure DNS.

Max Power
09-28-2003, 03:17 AM
I recently set up a AD DC that was to be located in a in a satellite office. I joined the member server to the domain and ran DCpromo at the main office over the local network, boxed it up and shipped it to Massachusetts. The whole process took less than 20 minutes. I have been told it can be done over the internet but dicey. This was my first time and the only resource I had was my boss who has done this plenty of times.

no-mbr
09-28-2003, 10:37 AM
Thanks, I've setup the DC and pointed DNS back to itself and added the DNS address (a NAT) to the client I wanted to add to the Domain but it fails to find the ADDC.

I guess I could say I setup the AD DC but cant adda computer account.

I't doesn't seem clear to me, do you add the account on the AD server first, or will it be created when to aff a machine to the DOMAIN?

Thanks.

yawningdog
09-28-2003, 04:48 PM
As long as you have administrator permissions on the DC, you should be able to add machines to the domain from the client or member server by just supplying your username and password and the account will be added to the DC. This is a native w2k domain, right?

no-mbr
09-28-2003, 08:59 PM
Well, as usual it took me way too long to figure out why I could not get the DC configure wizard to make w2k ad dc setup easy. It turns out, (at least for me) that the wizard won't run correctly in an existing IP connection is working... Thats why it defaults to 10.10.1.1 for addressing etc.... (i was hard coding IP config during setup stage...)

Now the only "deal" for me is how to get my DNS server to forward request for record lookups, it, has a property sheet for configuring

the forwarding but it has a caption that you can not do this because the DNS server is configured as a "root" server, it needs to have zone transfers or exchanges or whatever....from other servers no forwarding....

Anyway I am now big grand pooh-bah "DC HQ admin" up the wahzoo at reskit.local and keep "flashbacking to old Netware NDS 5.0" duh????

Signed
no-mbr.test71.reskit.local.cn-usa.co-na.planet.earth

PS yes, I added a machine and saw the account show up in NTDS, I also added an a domain user account and logged on as a "new " domain user.....from the w2k workstation...

Thanks for your help.