PDA

View Full Version : Bios rom checksum error

10-01-2003, 01:07 AM
I have a computer that has been working without fail but now won't go at all. Working one day and BOOM! At boot, I get this error. bios rom checksum error, detecting floppy drive a media, insert system disk and press enter. Sounds like a fog horn-2 tone beep-bee bow. Can not get into bios but here is what I have done so far. I removed the floppy,cd rom and hd cables to mb. At re boot sounds like a fire alarm. high pitched constant beeping and an error message of bios checksum error,detecting floppy drive a media,drive a error. system halt. I replaced the pc 100 memory with other know good memory. Same result. I checked the battery and 3 volts. I removed video card. No change. I am looking for suggestions. The bios is Award bootlock bios v1.8 copyright
1998. It is a Tyan S1854 mb. I am thinkung of removing the battery tonite and see if we can clear cmos and maybe get the defaults back. I think it may be more than memory, maybe motherboard, another cmos chip,
would power supply be suspect here? I have not checked voltages yet. Looking for suggestions?

mjc
10-01-2003, 01:27 AM
Replace the battery any way.....

pave_spectre
10-01-2003, 01:28 AM
I dont remember what a two tone beep is supposed to mean but I have had BIOS checksum errors as a result of clearing the CMOS and forgetting to configure it immediately afterwards. Have you tried checking or changing any settings in BIOS after one of these errors occurs?

You may want to check that the battery is OK and replace it if it isnt.

10-01-2003, 01:59 AM
Had already thought about replacing the battery anyway and will do that.
I also went to the Tyan site, found the jumpers settings to clear cmos
and will attempt that in the morning. Thanks for the responses.

10-01-2003, 12:29 PM
An update on the problem. No change with a new battery, and no change
with clearing the cmos. NEXT!:D

10-01-2003, 12:35 PM
I failed to mention that this morning the owner informed me that she had downloaded an email about the weather, then the computer would auto matically start connecting to the internet and going to the same site
all the time. When she shutdown and rebooted the next day. BOOM! and here we are. May have to head over to the Award site and consider re flashing this thing unless someone has some other ideas.

Budfred
10-01-2003, 03:18 PM
I believe the weather thing is called WeatherBug and it is a hijacker/trojan kind of thing if I remember correctly, but I haven't heard of it disabling a system at the level you are experiencing.

When you said it went "BOOM", did you mean that literally? I assume you did a visual inspection of the board, did any capacitors look like they are bulging or leaking?

mjc
10-02-2003, 12:24 AM
Actually WeatherBug has cleaned up their act....they now have a clean bill of health. (they did play with the spyware idea for a while....)

But it doesn't sound like WeatherBug......and yes it does sound viral in nature.

10-02-2003, 12:47 AM
Budfred, No boom is just a figure of speech. How would you approach
this repair? If it's a virus what do we need to do?

Budfred
10-02-2003, 12:56 AM
If you want to check for virus or other crapware, use the AV, Anti-trojan link in mjc's signature to find links to security scanners and scan away... I would run a couple of the online virus scans, download and run Spybot and/or AdAware and run Hijack This and paste the log here. However, I suspect that you have a hardware problem with the way you have described the problem.

mjc
10-02-2003, 02:45 AM
If this is a 9x system or even a FAT32 based XP system I would use F-prot for DOS...

10-02-2003, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the responses but right now I have got to find me either a
news bios chip or get one with an updated bios or try to find an Award
system disk that might get back up and running.

Budfred
10-02-2003, 02:41 PM
Okay, here is an alternative for that: BadFlash. (http://www.badflash.com/)

10-04-2003, 09:40 PM
I have a new bios chip on its way from Biosman. Will see what happens!:D By the way if its just a corrupted bios chip, and if everything works as it should, should there be any need to worry about
the harddrive working as it should? It's just me but I worry about an ambush by something else when we do reboot with the new chip.

mjc
10-05-2003, 01:19 AM
Is there anything on the drive worth saving?

If not I would wipe (zero fill) it.

10-15-2003, 12:58 PM
UPDATE:D I replaced the bios chip and operation normal. Did find weatherbug and mysearch.com trying to use the modem constantly.Spybot took care of most of it. I took care of the rest

Paleo Pete
10-16-2003, 12:18 AM
My Search Parasite (http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/MySearch.html) looks like probably installed by Weatherbug, probably spyware...I'd say remove it.

10-16-2003, 10:59 AM
I did! ;)

mjc
10-16-2003, 02:46 PM
A little more on MyWay.....

It is one of the few "bundleware" items that actually doesn't do anything unreasonable.

It doesn't transmit any data, it politely asks to update and it generally is well behaved (works as advertised and doesn't crash all the time).

Its only fault....getting packaged with other software, some like Grokster packs a whole bunch of nasties.

It, in some cases, is even a well labled optional install. I beleive if Weathrbug is still carrying it, it is one of those that has it as an option. Also if I remember...and I'm not 100% on this....you can change you homepage/search settings even with it installed.

MyWay.com also offers a rather nice portal page.....

IMPORTANT: We do not present our users with pop-ups, banners or any other non-text advertising. Nor do we send email to
our users. If you see or receive one of these items, it is coming from an outside source, either as a result of something you
have previously downloaded or as an "exit" pop-up from the site you just visited. It is not coming from our site.

http://info.myway.com/index/id/privacy.html

And as Andrew points out, on his page, the Myweb variant it the only one with the ActiveX component.

Am I appologizing for their misbehavior, no...

But they are not the worst out there and they should be encouraged from embracing the "darkside".

One of the things that should be done is to encourage their good behavior, while trying to disaude them from pursuing more bundling options.
If I ran IE regularly it would be one of the 3 or 4 toolbars I would actually use....the others being the Google toolbar and the Meriam-Webster one.....