PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Pro IIS

Active Techster
10-17-2003, 12:28 PM
I am currently really really stuck on setting up my FTP site on Windows XP with IIS.

I am behind a NAT router which I have forwarded port 21 on going to my machine of 192.168.0.1 I have enabled IIS and FTP on my PC and set up the default FTP as follows...

1. Created a New FTP site in IIS and pointed it to a newly created folder named FTP in the root of C:

2. I then created an FTP login user account in computer management with the same name as the directory (FTP)

3 I went to the folders properties and have sorted out the security tab so only the Administrators group and User FTP have access and FTP onlky has read access.

4. I created a new Virtual Directory and pointed it to the default Directory, but no joy??

I am unable to log in and access any files...my FTP browser just throws no user and pass at me. I am using Dynamic DNS so that my ip points to a .sytes.net domain. (I am trying to access it externally from another PC on a different network)

Does anyone have any hints as I am really stuck.

Cheers in advance

Ben

Paul Komski
10-18-2003, 03:16 PM
No-one's got back to you on this so just a couple of points.

Firstly I'm not up to speed with routers but if you have configured the http server OK then the router seems unlikely to be a problem unless it's something to do with the specific ftp port number. So has the server been acting normal and able to run http-based scripts (eg asp and the associated help pages that come with IIS); if not then it sounds like a networking/logon problem.

I've never yet tried IIS under WinXP only under Win2K but I guess its similar.

It is generally not recommended to use a Drive Root for such WebFolders, certainly for security reasons and maybe for configuration reasons as well. No harm to move it elsewhere and repoint the virtual setting.

Have myself been unable to access the server unless actually on-line at the time; and even though only using the server on a LAN. It may have been related to the actual logging-on to a microsoft network - but it was a long time ago and I just remember this "quirk" as an anecdote.

Hopefully networking gurus will be able to add more detailed stuff and ideas.

PS Afterthoughts:- Could the router be the effective server and not the pc with the web setup on it? As I said though - routers are alien to me. Also any firewalls in the vicinity?

pave_spectre
10-19-2003, 07:35 AM
Have you also tried forwarding Port 20 as well since FTP uses both ports 20 and 21.

What brand/model of router are you using (not that I think it might help)?

Is there any kind of access control configured on the router that might be blocking the data before it can be forwarded?

Active Techster
10-21-2003, 05:56 PM
Cheers guys...still having problems with this.

Also any firewalls in the vicinity?

Yes there is Black Ice firewall installed on my PC which has port 21 enabled as a trusted port....but that doesnt seem to make a difference as I have disabled it and it still doesnt like it.

The router I am using is a Billion Bipac 541 . I dont htink there is a problem with the forwarding part because http forwards fine....

There is an option in the IIS control panel under "Security Accounts" for some reason the FTP site operators section completly greyed out. Now to keep my sanity I decided to do the same process on a Windows 2K Server to see if it worked...I followed the exact same procedure and it worked fine but this security accounts tab was not greyed out and I was able to tell it which user I wanted to access the FTP...it makes no sense as you should be able to do the same on XP Pro.

I have put it down currently to Corruption in XP....I would love to crack this one.

Any more hinters...help....or anything is gratefully received and massively thanked :)

Cheers

Ben:confused:

Paul Komski
10-21-2003, 08:18 PM
Just a thought.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/iis/htm/core/iiwbsop.htm

miles_obrien
10-22-2003, 06:26 PM
This article was previously published under Q326728
SYMPTOMS
When you are using Internet Explorer to view an FTP server that has many levels of folders and you view folders that are five or more levels deep, your account may be locked out. This symptom only occurs on an FTP server that does not allow anonymous logons.
CAUSE
After the first logon, a new logon attempt is made when you connect to another folder. Because Internet Explorer does not keep the password, a blank password is sent, and a logon that is not valid is recorded. If an account is set to lock out after three failed logons, the account is locked out when you go five levels deep in the folder structure.
RESOLUTION
A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to computers that are experiencing this specific problem. This fix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Internet Explorer service pack that contains this fix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS

Does this fit your circumstances?
Miles

Active Techster
10-23-2003, 08:04 AM
When you are using Internet Explorer to view an FTP server that has many levels of folders and you view folders that are five or more levels deep, your account may be locked out. This symptom only occurs on an FTP server that does not allow anonymous logons.

Unfortunatly not because I cant log on attall....havent been able to go 5 folders deep yet. I am also using SmartFTP to access it.

Has anyone else ever tried to do IIS ftp on Windows XP Professional?? because it just be that I am missing something blatently obvious.:(

Paul Komski
10-23-2003, 02:00 PM
You seem pretty sure that the settings are the same on the Win2k and WinXp setups - which makes me wonder if there is either some "corruption" within XP or else something to do with the different ways that WinXP and Win2k address security issues. Seeing stuff greyed usually indicates that something is corrupt, missing or specifically turned off. You obviously hope it is the latter.

From messing with IIS on Win2K I used to eventually run into difficulties that I couldn't resove other than be a clean install. In the end I ran a parallel installation (or testing installation) by dual booting W2K and W2K-testing. Perhaps you should consider installing another, parallel, WinXP with nothing added to it other than IIS and see how you get on.

no-mbr
10-25-2003, 10:44 AM
I've run both web and FTP servers on 2000 and XP using dynamic DNS. You've changed so many things, I can't help.

I would suggest you start with a known working setup on your intranet. Then open it up or forward it to the internet. (for ten seconds!)

Then stop the services add you your security etc... and try again.

You can disconnect a machine and use a dial-up number from another ISP or whatever to simulate true internet connectivity....

This make sense anyone? PS don't forget about XP's built in firewall.

no-mbr
10-25-2003, 10:46 AM
Another PS, remote desktop for XP is easy to setup and has clients for MACs too! (as well as W2k)

But it's slower than FTP.....

Active Techster
10-30-2003, 12:18 PM
I have remote desktop connection setup so I can remote access my machine but the reason I wanted to set up an FTP server was so that I could upload to my pc externally using an ftp program such as SMART.

I have tried to do the same since I wrote my last post on another XP machine and got the same result...if you have done the same as me successfully then there has to be something I am missing. Could you give me a step by step guide starting from when you first install XP and I will try it after a reinstall...if you could and have the time that is.

Cheers in advance!

Ben

Ghost_Hacker
11-13-2003, 08:10 AM
There is an option in the IIS control panel under "Security Accounts" for some reason the FTP site operators section completly greyed out.

FTP Site operators has been removed from IIS 6 which is why it is greyed out.

What your trying to do is called Isolating FTP Users in IIS 6.

See if this Web page can help you:

Isolating FTP Users (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/standard/wsa_ftp_isolate.asp)

Good Luck :)