PDA

View Full Version : Semi New to PCs

TMK
10-27-2003, 09:05 PM
I just found this site a week ago. I had never used a PC until 3 years ago. Now I think I may be turning into a middle aged computer geek. I work with a guy who is 25 years younger than me, he is studying for his A+ test. He put a practice test program on the PC at work. I started trying it 3 weeks ago. My first scores were in the 50s. I have been really researching all the things that come up on the questions. This site has really helped me, I am now getting consistant scores in the 70s. I have really found an interest in how PCs work. I have always liked to take things apart to see how they work. I always thought PCs were for the younger generations. Are there any other little bit older people like me out there who found an interest in PCs that previously never thought about ever buying one.

PrntRhd
10-27-2003, 09:27 PM
Some of us started later in life (47) but as long as you are learning things you are never really OLD.

Budfred
10-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Welcome to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif

I can't say I came to the interest late since I have been into tech stuff since I was at least a teenager, but I am decidedly middle aged now and have only been more heavily into computers for the last couple of years. Since I have been hanging out here I have built 3 computers and cleaned up and/or repaired a number of others. I am also studying the A+ think a little at a time, but the book I am reading is a few years out of date, so I am learning more about outmoded tech than the newest stuff. When I get done with this book, I plan to pick up the newest edition and start on that... maybe even take the practice tests....:D

Being a teck junkie can be an awful curse, but it is fun....:D

LadyGrey
10-28-2003, 06:37 AM
Hi TMK,
I'm right there with ya! I just discovered my curse a couple of years ago. I've gone head over heels for the insides of computers! This site was and is and will always be THE place for me. I've fixed one older bomb already and it's still runnin, I've upgraded my computer three or four times and I will be attempting my first from the case up build in the next two or three weeks. With a whole lot of help from the guru's here of course!:cool: At my age(totally middle aged) I thought as alot of people did, oh those are for the younger generation but it's just not so. The computer bug can bite anyone at anytime and when it hits you are just lost for ever. I tried to take a class at the local college and was so excited about it but at the last minute they dropped the class, I was devastated but I will keep trying. I go and read all I can find on the A+ and one of these days I'm gonna take those tests and pass them too as well as finally getting the class at the college on repair and troubleshooting. I have discovered that maybe being some older I may have more patience than when I was younger and if it's one thing computers take, it's patience! That and a sledgehammer when all else fails:D :D We are never too old to learn something new! LG;)

Abbadon
10-28-2003, 06:45 AM
On a side note: we "youngster" regulary find ourselves "outgeeked" by "the middle-aged".

It's way cool having them around :D

deddard
10-28-2003, 07:27 AM
Hi, welcome aboard.
I finished the A+ course and passed earlier this year, and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a foothold in the techie business.
You probably know that half of it is hardware, and the rest is geared towards OSs (well let's face it, - microsoft) and they are currently on XP.
For this sort of qualification, you need to have a working knowledge of anything that is upto 10 years old - you're not likely to come across much of the older stuff, but it is still out there, so you need to know it.

I didn't have too much trouble with the A+, but found that remembering all the facts (Default IRQ, DMA, I/O ports) quite tedious. There is certainly a good reason for it all, but it is boring.
THis site proved extremely valuable in my studies, and still does. You realise that no matter how much you know, you know next to nothing! There's always someone to hand who will give you some decent advice (there are some serious boffins here:D ) without patronising you.

I'm currently studying for my CCNA & C&G Networking (C&G is a British qualification), and will also be taking my Network+ exam at the beginning of next year.

I'm pushing 38, and have been using PCs continually since 1993ish, but there are several on the CCNA, and were on the A+ that were considerably older. Sure, you may take a bit more time than the teenagers to take it all in, but so what? There's always room for people who actually want to know how this stuff works, rather than just learning it because it's on the school curriculum.

Jhorner1
10-28-2003, 09:37 AM
I've been tinkering with PC's since 1987, but only really got into working on them in the last few years. I too am middle age (47) and just passed my A+ this past spring. Like deddard I hope to pass my network+ the end or this year or beginning of next year. LadyGrey this site Education 2 Go (http://www.ed2go.com/cgi-bin/oic/newofferings.cgi?num=CC) offers A+ and other certification training over the internet,Courses are 6 weeks long, and start the middle of each month. The prices vary depending on which college you sign-up through.

TMK
10-28-2003, 11:44 AM
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far, and to any future replies. I didn't realize there were that many people my age out there who are into PCs. I thought they all just took there stuff in to professionals for repair and payed through the nose when they ran into problems. I really like to try and fix things myself first. I use the younger people quite often for advice when something doesn't work, they usually lead me in the right direction to find the answers. I am really thankful I found this site, it is real helpful and encourageing for me. Thanks again

Budfred
10-28-2003, 06:58 PM
I think there may actually be more of us old folks around here than the young folks, but haven't actually done a count....:D :p :D

pave_spectre
10-28-2003, 11:24 PM
Young or old were all Geek under the skin!:D

hawk7771us
11-11-2003, 12:42 AM
http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Documents/Book.cfm?DocumentID=175 i think free

Beta Geek
11-11-2003, 05:58 PM
Although I am of the younger generation, my grandma is 83, and as of the last few years become quite attached to her computer. Although, mostly for e-mail and solitaire, it's interesting how computers have managed to bridge the generations.

stefanus
11-12-2003, 09:28 AM
Welcome TMK. I am a little older middle aged person with a latent addiction to PCs also and as previously mentioned this is a great site to meet new friends and and receive help often in my case not understanding one word that has been said (written) but eventually a mental light switches on :D Budfred what was the book that you have recently been studying and is it available in the UK?
Stefanus:cool:

Budfred
11-12-2003, 09:54 PM
It is called "Exam Cram: Personal Trainer" and it comes with a CD to take practice tests. I don't know if it is available in the UK, but I would get the newest version if you want it since the version I have is way out of date. It is by Coriolis. I picked it up mainly because it was only a couple of dollars and I just wanted to learn more. It is also rather cursory if you are looking to learn for actual certification.....

stefanus
11-13-2003, 09:47 AM
Sorry KMT. I am not highjacking your thread, this is one way of getting useful inf. Thanx Budfred and hawk7771us for the inf
Stefanus

papertech
12-06-2003, 11:19 PM
46 here.......was always a computer user, but the tech addiction started by chance five years ago. I've got an old mcse (nt4.0) and A+ w/ 2000 objectives. Now doing repairs in a home shop while caring for my mom.

I keep an open subscription with SkillSoft and plan to continue earning certs, but my main focus for the immediate future is a 2 yr computer science degree from a local community college.

saphalline
12-07-2003, 12:00 AM
On a side note: we "youngster" regulary find ourselves "outgeeked" by "the middle-aged".Boy, if that ain't the truth! I'm in my twenties, so I'm not a teenie, but still...

I often feel a bit young in this field when the real geeks strut their stuff. Case in point: when I took entry-level C++ class in college, we had a guy in his 80's/90's there. Get this - he worked on the ENIAC!! :eek: Talk about being humbled! This guy showed us some cool bit-wise operations for C that really kept our programs lean! :D Granted we were making tiny little apps that would take any Pentium-class machine the blink of an eye to run, but I can use those for future projects.

My friend's grandparents also build all their PCs and are quite protective of anything we might want to steal. :p They just will not give up that PII machine for anything! It has a cool removable hard drive bay! *drool*

Anyway, getting back to the point, us youngsters are good at keeping up with the latest stuff, but I bet your average gaming teenager knows jack squat about the 486! I myself haven't worked on anything pre-Pentium (although my friend has gone back as far as the 286) so when we decided to get A+ certification for our PC-building business, we found out we have a lot to learn about that era!

To help us, we've decided to get a web page for our business and start it out by posting raw PC info. It gives us something interesting to do while we learn boring things like IRQ 0 is the system timer and the first SCSI cable had 50 pins. As soon as we get it up and running, I'll post the URL so you can tell us where we messed up! :p

Just keep in mind that computer geeks in their 60's and 70's are actually the "original" teenage computer geeks. They are the ones who fooled around on university consoles in the 1950's and 60's and created things like OSes and network topologies and computer science classes. They're also the ones who bought the first PCs and drove the industry to where it is today. We owe it all to previous generations!

stefanus
12-07-2003, 10:35 AM
Here! Here!As the saying goes. I could not have said it better Saphaline. A good thing to remember. Science and Technology in all its diciplines was developed by past generations and "Upgraded" by present generations :cool: :D ;)
Stephanus

nigel
03-26-2004, 09:31 PM
i'm glad i'm not the only oldie here. i'm 43 helped friends and family with there computer, rebuilt my own.
been reading what i can get my hands on for the a+ certification.
i would like to get it over with and go onto mcse.
i think my main problem is put a computer in front of me and it's no problem but i get a bit nervous when it comes to tests any tips.

Donn
03-28-2004, 09:59 PM
TMK wrote:

I just found this site a week ago. I had never used a PC until 3 years ago. Now I think I may be turning into a middle aged computer geek.

Donn writes:

I got my first pc 2 1/2 years ago, and much to my dismay , at first, I have had to learn how to live with it's idiosyncrazies-- it is an odd machine for a Compaq. At 55 I thought-- I'll never learn this, it's just too complicated, too many abbreviations, and everybody seems to be talking so fast.

However, in TRYING to learn how to deal with situations like viruses, horses, browser hijacks, media probs, download dynamics, having to do a disk wipe. . . I am now ready to admit that learning how to operate them is only half the fun. It's like having a dog or a parrot--you have to teach them tricks, or teach it how to talk, and maintain it. Lately I have been looking around to see if I can help someone else....and now I have to admit that I am also peeking over the fence every now and then into the next yard where they are building these things, and thinking... ah c'mon, Donn, it can't be THAT hard...

Oh yeah, Ps: I was at a swap meet today and picked up the PHISH A Live One, 4-cd set for four dollars...just wanted to crow a little.

stefanus
03-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Lucky you! young man/person ;)

Stefanus :D :D :D :cool:

Quantax
04-01-2004, 10:17 PM
At 56, I may have the distinction thus far of being the most senior geek in the group. However, what started out as an intention to take on computer service as an additional career last summer changed rather quickly when I had second thoughts about going through the standard certification programs(A+, Network, etc.). So it instead "morphed" into a hobby but since my real work is technical anyway(I'm a self-employed piano technician)I seem to have an affinity for it. But I can nostagically recall the fall of '82 when I took a short course on Basic programming with the then introductory Texas Instruments TI-99 model which was 'round the same time that the Commodore 450 came out.

To date, I've built two PC's, upgraded another system, and spent countless hours tweaking the registry(principally the XP in my dual boot setup). I've even done a little foolin' around with my uncle's Dell laptop since I used it to assist him in his tax efiling business.

Donn
04-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by stefanus
Lucky you! young man/person ;)

Stefanus :D :D :D :cool:

And then imagine my complete dismay when I discovered that the second envelop of what I thought was CDs 3 an 4 turned out to be a book of liner notes. ARRRGH!! Still a 2 CD PHISH live set for $4. I'll take it. Back to the thread. . . .