PDA

View Full Version : Should temp files be trashed?

Falkwl
11-06-2003, 10:23 PM
Hi Folks,

I am using Win 98se and there are temp files that could be trashed
often to make more space for the Harddisk. One is "temp" and
the other is "temporary internet files". So far I only discard
content from the "temporary internet files" folder.
Can the content from the "temp" folder be trashed as well without
giving problems to my pc? It seems this "temp" folder is getting
bigger and bigger in content day by day. Is there any other files
that I could discard safely without giving problems to Window 98se?

My system runs with 512Ram on a P4 1.8mhz.

Falkwl

Budfred
11-06-2003, 10:49 PM
Most TEMP files are meant to be used only briefly, often as an interim step in an install or something like that... In other words, yes, you can delete them....

Falkwl
11-06-2003, 10:58 PM
This means that I can just trash the content in the temp folder immediately to gain back around 200MB of space. :)

Many Thanks Budfred. You are quick in responding to forum members
queries. My sincere appreciation to you.

Falkwl

Falkwl
11-06-2003, 11:17 PM
While attempting to delete the content in the "Temp" folder
under Windows this error is shown on the screen.

Error Deleting File
Cannot delete 'DFCED1: Access is denied
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
and that the file is not currently in use.

There are files remaining in the folder though some were
deleted. An example of the files:

a) ~dfe05d.tmp

b) ~dfe400.tmp

There are more of these files with the tmp extension that
could not be deleted, what could this mean?

Budfred
11-07-2003, 12:11 AM
I know there are some files in Temporary Internet Files that won't delete while the browser is open, but delete quite nicely when you close the browser, you could try that...

If they still don't delete it may be time to run a bunch of security scans: antivirus, spyware and maybe run HijackThis and post the log.... I would wait a bit until someone who knows more about those files chimes in to make sure there isn't some simpler way to deal with them....

Falkwl
11-07-2003, 12:30 AM
"I know there are some files in Temporary Internet Files that won't delete while the browser is open, but delete quite nicely when you close the browser, you could try that..."

Yeah, it works, thanks once again.
:)
Falkwl

tommy
11-07-2003, 05:40 AM
Similiar answer for the TEMP folder files. If they are in use they cannot be deleted at that time. But, you can probably delete them sometime later, or at least after the next boot.

Regarding the temporary internet file folder (TIF), consider using the following (for IE 5.5):

Start | Settings | Control Panel. Click on internet options.

Click on Advanced.

Page down to Security and be sure there is a check mark next to "Empty TIF when browser is closed", then click on apply.

It will NOT literally delete ALL TIFs but maybe you might not really want to. If you visit many sites somewhat regularly, keeping their TIF file should reduce the page load time.

I use the above option. Weekly, I sort the TIF file on Last Accessed date column. With the newest date first, I just look at the additions since my last review and manually delete those I don't want to keep. I regularly have less than 200 objects in my TIF.:)

OTOH, you could sort the Last Accessed column with the oldest date first and delete the unused oldies.

Falkwl
11-07-2003, 06:06 AM
"I use the above option. Weekly, I sort the TIF file on Last Accessed date column."

How do I sort the TIF file on Last Accessed date column?

Falkwl:confused:

tommy
11-08-2003, 05:13 AM
Use windows explorer (not internet explorer) to view the Temporary Internet Files folder contents. Move the page so you can see the column heading "Last Accessed" and click on the heading. If the order is opposite of what you want, the click on the heading once more. Incidentally, this sorting works on any column.:)

Falkwl
11-08-2003, 07:56 PM
"Move the page so you can see the column heading "Last Accessed" and click on the heading."

That means I click on TIF folder under Window explorer, click View then Details...
ah........I got it.
Many thanks Tommy.

Falkwl :)

tommy
11-09-2003, 04:50 AM
As the saying goes, don't assume. And unfortunately, I guess I assumed you used details view regularly, as I do.:o But glad to see you got what you needed.

Rick
11-09-2003, 06:40 AM
Edit

Removed post
Same answer in next post

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25943