PDA

View Full Version : file sharing between 98 & 2000

defjam
11-14-2003, 04:31 PM
Hey everyone,

I have a little trouble with file sharing between win 98 and win 2000 pro. I network this two computer together...if i create a folder in win 98 to share I'm able to access the file from win 2000. but i can not access folder from win 98 if created a share folder in win 2000 computer.. any suggestion? thanks in advance

the message i get is:

unable to browse the network
the network is not accessible.

sleddog
11-14-2003, 05:59 PM
Make sure the Win98 machine has an account on the Win 2000 machine.

For example, if you logon to the Win98 with:

username: fred
password: flintstone

Create an account on the Win2000 with this same username & password.

Budfred
11-14-2003, 08:18 PM
Also, you have to set up the file sharing using the New Share button and name it something without the $ sign.....

Paul Komski
11-14-2003, 10:07 PM
The $ before a share name means that the share is hidden and won't therefore appear in network neighbourhood.

As long as one has permission to access a share starting with $ one can actually access it by typing \\pcname\$sharename into the run box or the address bar. Of course you need to know it is there and to have permission for this to work.

Having said that, I just created a share called $hidden and after accessing it from W98 it remained visible in network neighbourhood!

Paul Komski
11-15-2003, 04:45 AM
Sorry - darnit - it's the other way round; the hidden shares end, and dont start, with $. So a new share called hidden$ stays hidden but is accessible from run and the address bar using \\winxpboxname\hidden$

defjam
11-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Hi guys,

actually, i was unable to access entire network..what i mean is after i clicked on network neighborhood and then clicked on "entire network" icon that when the error message came out...i was unable to get pass through...i hope i made myself clear..thanks!!

Paul Komski
11-15-2003, 05:15 PM
Check the Win98 box that you have:-
1) Given the pc a unique name and ip address.
2) That both pcs are using the same workgroup and subnet mask.
3) That Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing have been enabled.
4) That something has been shared on the Win98 box.
5) That you log on with the same user name as the Win2K box.

Once the pc can see itself it has a hope of seeing the other pc.

ErnieK
11-15-2003, 05:16 PM
defjam
Have a look at my post here

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26101

Budfred
11-15-2003, 05:58 PM
I have a similar setup except I use WinME and Win2K. I was able to readily see the WinME from Win2K, but I couldn't see Win2K from WinME. I thought I had set all drives and folders up on Win2K to see them, but had not set up the New Share without the $. Once I did that, I had no problems see Win2K. It is not enough to enable the "entire network", you also have to set up the file sharing...

Here is the original thread where people were helping me out with this, there are a lot of good ideas in it. HERE.... (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24310&perpage=40&pagenumber=1)

Paul Komski
11-15-2003, 06:18 PM
The following two links are step-by-step illustrated walk-throughs that have been very useful in the past. The site was down for a long time - but is up again now:-

Networking Software Set-Up (http://www.performit.co.uk/network/software_setup.htm)

Setting Up File and Printer Shares (http://www.performit.co.uk/network/setting_up_file_and_printer_shares.htm)

... and defjam - the point I was making was that there is something basically wrong at the Win98 end, since you should be able to see any shares set up on the same pc - even if you are not even physically connected to a LAN; that basic hurdle is the first to be bridged.

defjam
11-16-2003, 11:31 PM
Hi guys,

Misteriously, now am able to access my share folder that i created in win2k...i didnt make any change or do anything to it...weired..

THANK YOU! so much for all your helps

it's been a rough weekend for me :mad: