PDA

View Full Version : someone explain please

Abbadon
12-04-2003, 10:24 AM
What exactly is meant by this:

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/ip/tech/fat.asp

Does it mean that everyone who uses FAT has to cough up money?

pave_spectre
12-04-2003, 10:31 AM
I think its only for people who want to develop technology that utilises FAT.

A license for removable solid state media manufacturers to preformat the media,

pentachris
12-04-2003, 10:39 AM
It means that if you want to develop and manufacture, just as an example, a PVR (like TiVo), and you want to use the FAT file system on the hard drive that goes in it, Microsoft will be glad to license it to you.

Abbadon
12-04-2003, 10:49 AM
ah, ok then, I was beginning to wonder wether they would start charging consumers for use of the FAT system. A bit of a longshot maybe, but with M$, you never know...

Thx for clearing it up! ;)

Steve
12-04-2003, 11:31 AM
I was beginning to wonder wether they would start charging consumers for use of the FAT system.

Ummm...they have been charging the consumer all along. The product manufacturers just pass the cost on to the consumer. That $0.25 comes out of our pockets. No one elses.

integral
12-09-2003, 06:07 AM
When you purchase a Windows OS you are buying the right to use the FAT on you HD and floppies.

jeeza
12-09-2003, 02:20 PM
I may have a wrong slant on this, but doesn't that amount to something like buying toothpaste and then having to pay for the right to squeeze it ?

mjc
12-09-2003, 11:41 PM
Ahhhhh.......the joys of Closed Source software.

With Closed Source software you can, if you are willing to pay the amount, purchase the right not only to use it (which is what the normal end-user license does...buying the toothpaste), but for certain items, the right to develop and/or customize it to your own needs (no, not squeeze the toothpaste but store brand it or alter the flavor).

What MS is saying is "We made it and if you want more than just normal read/write access, then you need to pay us more $$$$$$." The means if you want to develop a special driver for the Mac to read/write a FAT file system, send Bill a big check.

NTFS is more expensive than FAT, so if you want to get a read/write DOS NTFS driver be prepared to shell out over $100 for it...yes it does exist and it allows 9x full access to an NTFS volume.

It also means.....

while there may be a specification defining what FAT is the MS version may not adhere 100% to that spec, and if you want to ensure that it does, give us two bits (25 cents) per.....

that $0.25 of the price of that FlashMemory card you bought to use in your camera....goes to M$.

Variable
12-16-2003, 11:23 AM
Don't bash them to much, they made it. Why shouldn't they get paid for it. If open source is so wonderful why isn't it pervasive.. hmm wonder why?
Sure MS had problems on other fronts but, this seems like a no brainer. Every business does this.