PDA

View Full Version : 70-210

Variable
12-28-2003, 11:54 PM
Anyone here real familiar with the test? I have several exam prep documents and I've been through a 210 college course but < I have questions about several of these answers. This question:

You are creating a dial-up connection on your windows 2000 portable computer to connect to your customres dial-up server. You are not sure what the ISP uses for connections and you want to ensure your dial up connection authentication is secure and that your logon inof is not sent in plain text. Which security setting shoudl you disable?
The answer is PAP
Now, I could have sworn that only the MS-CHAP was the only encrypted protocol. I would have said all but the MS CHAP version 1 and 2. Anyone have any ideas?

pave_spectre
12-29-2003, 06:15 AM
PPP used in dial-up uses PAP or CHAP for authentication.
CHAP sends encrypted passwords and PAP uses plain-text. If you wanted to avoid sending passwords in plain-text then you would ensure PAP was disabled.

Whats the problem?

Variable
12-29-2003, 02:25 PM
Yea I'm aware of that. I just remember a test in which MS graded the answer as MS-Chap version 1 and 2 were the ONLY encrypted transmission protocols. But, now im seeing several test sites with the answer that SPAP and CHAP are considered secure. I guess that difference lies with the term "encrypted." I know that the test questions run on themes and this theme seems to have a few variations in questions. I just want to make sure that I understand it correctly. I will see what I can find on tech net. Maybe, the question variation depends on the words Encrypted and Secure.

Jiggy
12-29-2003, 03:06 PM
Give this place a look see, link (http://www.examnotes.net/forums/index.php?).

Variable
12-29-2003, 11:49 PM
Jiggy, I read several forum posts from people there and I noticed a lot of the people seem to be really full of themselves. It's funny that many complain about braindumps on site sponsored by braindump sites.
I also wonder about how many people actually have the 30 odd tests under their belt that they put on their name tags and then give derogatory answers, to simple questions some poor schmuck posts too try and understand a problem they are having. I would rather find the answer out on my own than post there.
mho anyway.
Variable

Variable
12-30-2003, 01:43 AM
Well I figured it out. The MS versions of CHAP allow for encryption of passwords AND data. PAP has niether, obviously, and regular CHAP and SPAP only encrypt the passwords and not the data. That is the difference.

pave_spectre
12-30-2003, 06:12 AM
Until now I hadnt even heard of SPAP, but given the context I presume the S means secure, and that its simply a development of the standard PAP.

Variable
01-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Passed my test. : )

pave_spectre
01-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Congrats.