PDA

View Full Version : When will 512mb be a minimum requirement for games?

Deagle
12-31-2003, 07:40 PM
I saw some games today that needs at least 256mb and the recommended are 512mb. They don't list the ram to be sdr or ddr so can I assume they mean ddram? Anyways, what is the worthwhile investment in ram, 512mb or 1gb?
:cool:

Jiggy
12-31-2003, 07:55 PM
I went all out and got 1G of DDR, i kept my eye on memory prices till they got to 41-45-UK in readyness for Half Life 2 and Doom 3 so i can max out on all setting.

Mite be standard when Doom, Half Life and as games become more needie.

killercow
12-31-2003, 08:15 PM
Games, or rather software, will continue to improve. I believe some of the first games required 32mb or 64?

mjc
12-31-2003, 10:25 PM
Definitely when Longhorn becomes whatever version of windows it will become......

Killercow.......*****beeeep****** Wrong Answer.......;)

Try much lower.....much, much lower...The original Doom was meant to run on 486 based systems., so it was 4 or 8MB for memory.

killercow
12-31-2003, 10:59 PM
Sorry, I meant in my time. The ones I first Played have required around that much.

Reid
12-31-2003, 11:20 PM
Here is what King's Quest required 20 years ago:

DOS
Minimum CPU Class Required 8088 / 8086
Minimum OS Class Required DOS 1.0 to 2.11
Minimum RAM required 256 kilobytes

The good old days? :) Seemed great at the time on a Tandy 1000.

CPU Trubble
12-31-2003, 11:51 PM
Woah! DOS is pretty high-tech there.

I managed to find my old TI Home Computer. I don't think that thing even reached 1 KB of memory. I can still remember my dad showing me his Fortran programs running off of cassette tapes and cards full of little holes! :eek:

I do, however, hope they keep the memory requirements for HL2 under 384 MB RAM, or I'll be making a trip to the store!

classicsoftware
01-01-2004, 11:14 AM
As long is RAM is cheap, than programmers will be lazy. When I bought my first PC, I paid and extra $200.00 to go to 640K from 512K. Now it costs around $20.00 for 128 MB. Thge long short of it is YES soon you will need 512 MB to play games. But look it's worth it. Who wants to go back to 12" monochrome screens?

saphalline
01-02-2004, 01:16 AM
I've already seen a few games that require 512MB of RAM. Homeworld 2 comes to mind. I have 1GB myself, and plan on moving up to 2GB this summer. After that, on to a 64-bit system, probably starting out with 2GB and moving up to 6 or 8 before upgrading out of that.

I always like to stay ahead of the curve personally because I started out playing computer games with minimum hardware specs (my parents' first PC). Later, I built my own computer with really good specs. Holy smoke, did that make a difference!! :eek: Amazing what happens when your CPU speed and RAM are waaaay above the min requirements of a game! It's so much more fun.

Now I don't even buy a game if my computer isn't at least 1.5 times the recommended CPU speed and twice the recommended RAM. I follow that rule and my games always play nice.

Of course, the video card is another story... I have to upgrade mine soon... ;)

Deagle
01-02-2004, 01:38 AM
<b>6 or 8gb of RAM?</b> OMG:eek: I have seen a 1gb ram stick but they cost so much:rolleyes: So it would be wise to buy a 1x512mb stick now and then when I have $ buy another stick?
:cool:
BTW, what vid card do you have now Sap?

jeeza
01-02-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by killercow
Games, or rather software, will continue to improve. I believe some of the first games required 32mb or 64?

There must have been games around when 6 MB was normal.

Edit : Sorry - I was actually talking about HDD capacity, not about RAM.

Budfred
01-02-2004, 02:19 PM
I played games on computer with no hard drive and far less than 1 Mb. I played Space Invaders on a Texas Instruments with a tape recorder (audio tape) that provided the memory... no hard drive, no floppy drive, not much of anything except a tiny bit of RAM, a CPU and that tape....

supershenlon
01-02-2004, 09:13 PM
All hi spec games now require at least 512MB in my oppinion for decent performance with XP. They say 256MB minimum, but the gameplay will be quite choppy, or in the case of Max Payne, won't let you run the game at all....:p

saphalline
01-03-2004, 01:06 AM
I have seen a 1gb ram stick but they cost so much:rolleyes: So it would be wise to buy a 1x512mb stick now and then when I have $ buy another stick?Yes, sticks of 1GB are extremely expensive right now, but so were 512MB sticks just a couple years ago. The age of 1GB sticks is coming! :)

Oh, yeah, I always buy 512MB sticks now. Well, 256MB is fine for a cheapo PC, but otherwise 512MB makes more upgrading sense.

BTW, what vid card do you have now Sap?GF4 Ti 4400. Not too shabby, but it's just not top of the line! ;) I've already found a few games that bring my poor PC to its knees, and I know the CPU speed isn't a problem because I get really good frame rates when the poly count is down (not to mention I OC ;) ). I'm hoping I can get an upgrade for my AGP slot by summer...

Deagle
01-03-2004, 01:39 AM
Hmm..ok, I was planning on buying some Buffalo ram so I can OC but was deciding between 2x256 or 1x512.:D So, what you're gonna do with that ti4400 once you upgrade? Sell it?;) IMO we should have a forum where members could buy and sale stuff.:cool:

saphalline
01-03-2004, 02:06 AM
IMO we should have a forum where members could buy and sale stuff.:cool:Now that's what I want! Just for the record, I'm in the market for some used hard drives and/or 500+ MHz systems. ;)

RAM for OC'ing is best done with as few sticks as possible, but what CPU platform are you using? Anything requiring dual-channel?

Deagle
01-03-2004, 03:05 AM
o0o...You'd want a forum for sell/trade too?:p I'm using AMD and yes the mobo supports dualchannel. Also for the record, I have extra old HDD that's gathering dust. Should we petition the new forum idea to MJC/Paleo Pete?

saphalline
01-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Should we petition the new forum idea to MJC/Paleo Pete?I think it would be a good idea. It wouldn't have to be anything fancy, either. Just a place to go to list things you want to buy or sell. Then, whoever is interested could just leave you a PM. Likewise, the poster would be responsible for updating his/her list. That would be so cool! :cool:

Getting back to the RAM thing... WinXP only supports 4GB of RAM. I know it sounds like a lot now, but 1GB is already pretty standard for a gaming PC. I even know a few who have 2GB of RAM. This is using sticks of 512MB, tho - when 1GB sticks come down in price (maybe another 18 months) then 3 or 4GB will start showing up on high-end PCs. When that day comes, we'll be at the limit of WinXP.

Not too much of a problem except that Windows "Longhorn" has been delayed! :eek: MS is saying 2005 at the earliest. That's not to say WinXP 64-bit edition won't increase the RAM limit, but if it doesn't, we could find ourselves in a bit of a tight spot! I think it'll be awhile before 4GB of RAM seems cramped, but there's still that doubt...

jeeza
01-04-2004, 06:35 AM
I see your aject plot has come to nothing, you despicable bunch of conspirators ! :P

jeeza
01-04-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by saphalline
Not too much of a problem except that Windows "Longhorn" has been delayed! :eek: MS is saying 2005 at the earliest.
Could they possibly be forced to modify a few things in Longhorn because of leaks resulting from the sales of those pirated Longhorn CD's in Thailand, or which county was it again ?

jeeza
01-04-2004, 06:42 AM
Not too much of a problem except that Windows "Longhorn" has been delayed! :eek: MS is saying 2005 at the earliest.
Could they possibly be forced to modify a few things in Longhorn because of leaks resulting from the sales of those pirated Longhorn CD's in Thailand, or whatever country it was ?

pentachris
01-13-2004, 06:40 PM
Just for the record, I'm in the market for some used hard drives and/or 500+ MHz systems. ;)

Try checking www.auctiondepot.com for good prices on older off-lease systems. Some weeks the choices are better than others. Looks like a fairly good selection right now.