PDA

View Full Version : Win KP Home

Spanky
02-20-2004, 03:17 PM
Hi I install win xp home and it mabe an partition, but the problem is the c: drive only has 1gb of hard drive space and the d: drive has all the space I have try to restall win xp again and the same thing happen, Why can I have only 1 drive the c:\ then I will have a lot of HD space. Can this be done can someone show me how, because every minute the popup says your low on HD space. I tried to use Partition magic 8.0 but no HD space to install it please helpppppppppppppppppp. thanks before I throw this computer out the window.

Sal

avo
02-20-2004, 04:22 PM
When you instal your operating system you need to specify the size of the partitions.
If you only want a single partition (C) then you need to delete your current partitions C + D which will leave you with what you want...
By default all the space on your drive will be allocated to just one partition C.
Then you format and carry on with the rest of the installation.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Spanky
02-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Hi i did everythig just like it says but it will not let me not partititon the hard drives. should I restart the computer in msdos and format the hard drive frist then install win xp home or just restart with the win xp cd in the cd rom not sure. Can I delete the other d:\ drive right form my computer will all that drive space be givin to the c:\ when the d:\ HD is delete thanks please help.

Sal

avo
02-20-2004, 05:18 PM
I thought that had already been explained.
Yes, start with your win xp cd and delete both C and D partition which will leave you with a single partition.
Now all your hard disk space will be allocated to one partition which will be your C drive.
Format and away you go.

Paul Komski
02-20-2004, 05:20 PM
How large are both these partitions and how much free space exists on both of them. You will need a bit of "slack" on both of them for partiton utilities (and other stuff) to work properly.

Presumably you have freed up as much space as possible by deleting your temporary internet files, temporary files and emptying the recycle bin. If so, then move (if only temporarily) some stuff from the C drive to the D drive and delete anything else that is not necessary.

Hopefully you can then install PM (and make the two rescue floppy diskettes at the same time).

I would caution against merging the partitions as a single manouvre but once PM is installed (or on floppies) first resize the D drive downwards and then move it to the end of the drive. Then resize the C drive upwards.

Backup any important data before attempting any such partition changes.

PS Did you make these partitions yourself? Presumably one of them is not a utility partition found on a Dell, Compaq, etc.