PDA

View Full Version : Modem Settings - Can they be 'Exported'?

mike2002
02-20-2004, 05:51 PM
Reading through the queries, it appears that, like myself, installing a Modem after reformatting is not always straightforward. Sometimes it goes well without any hitches, whilst on another occasion it's a devil of a job. The last time my son did it for me, he said the Modem first installed on the wrong Port (does it matter?).

All of which got me thinking - and I may be completely wrong on this as life isn't always that simple. As the Registry is a compendium of all a PCs hardware and software settings, can a Modem's hardware configuration be saved and be imported into a new Windows Setup?

This is assuming, of course, that one has the Modem driver CD.

Paul Komski
02-20-2004, 06:32 PM
To some extent this depends on the modem, the os and which drivers you have for it. Probably the most important thing to get right is the correct sequence (particularly with USB modems) of installing the software and the hardware; read the maker's instructions carefully if you have the manual.

Sometimes the hardware should be installed first - sometimes the software/drivers. Sometimes the add new hardware wizard comes into play and sometimes there will be an installation program for the modem.

There are no hard and fast rules. About the only other settings to save or write down would be any additional init strings that have been added to the dial-up settings. A clean installation and adding a new modem in the correct manner should be unlikely to have problems with the COM ports.

mike2002
02-21-2004, 08:25 AM
Hi Paul,

My Modem is a PCI type, and the OS is Windows 98SE. Make of Modem is Pine (pinegroup.com) & (as far as can remember) there is no installation info. I certainly don't have a printed manual amongst my various paperwork. Just an installation CD, devoid of any setup info, except two .INF files labelled 'setup information'. It includes basic setup info for USB types, but nothing for the PCI version.

Paul Komski
02-21-2004, 10:41 AM
My own approach would be to clean install with the modem not attached.

When the OS is up and running add in the pci card and have the cd ready, whilst you boot up, to allow the add new hardware wizard to access it in its search for drivers prompt.

If you can find updated drivers on the web then all and good but if the modem was working OK with the drivers on the CD, why fix something that doesn't need mending.

Its possible you might get some information to write down about the current modem by entering hwinfo  /ui into the run box.

http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/819.htm in case your drivers have gone caput.