PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Open Attachments

Island Boy
02-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Hello, Would appreciate some help with the following. I sent 3 important files to a friend the other day and he said he can't open them. The files are in My Documents folder. My method of sending was Right click file> send to mail recipient, and the file would show up in my mail window as an attachment, which I would then email. (Normally the recipient would just have to right click the attachment and open it or receive it). The recipient is saying he can't receive it -- the 'circle' you click for receiving is greyed over.

I am not sure, but I believe this has something to do with our word processing program. Mine is Corel Word Perfect 10. I think his is Windows Word.

I have placed the files onto a floppy which I plan to give to him, but I am not sure if he can get the files onto his system with the floppy. Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

Island Boy

YODA74
02-22-2004, 10:34 AM
The problem is that WordPerfect files have the completely opposite type of structure to Word.Use WordPerfect to save out as RTF, then open the RTF in Word???

Whyzman
02-22-2004, 11:10 AM
A good example would perhaps be Adobe Acrobat which saves its files in .pdf format...

Adobe furnishes freely its Adobe Acrobat Reader which anyone can download and use to open and view files saved with this format. However, the reader only allows reading and printing...you cannot manipulate or alter the files in any way.

So, as Yoda pointed out, the program you are using is saving the files in a particular format...your friend does not have a way of opening or viewing that file extension...

Most programs have a "native" format they use by default for storing files. If you choose to "save" in another format (options may be given in a pull-down menu when you elect to save your work) be aware that there might be loss of detail or information.

The RTF format Yoda mentions is a very common file format, but does not offer much other than basic text...Both WP and Word might have this as a common file extension. Again, if these are more than simple text documents saving in a format other than the "native" format of the program you're using might "lose something in translation!"

I have heard of a program that enables "reading" of multiple formats for situations such as yours...Again, only reading...no manipulation or altering...I have no idea on cost or where I read about them.

Paul Komski
02-22-2004, 01:20 PM
MS Office97 through OfficeXP has converters for Word Perfect 5.x and 6.x but I cant see any for Word Perfect 10. Perhaps you could Save As an earlier version and if so perhaps your friend will be able to convert them directly. He may possibly also need to insert the Office CD to add these converters from the setup options.

Alternatively, I'm pretty sure you could also Save As and choose MS Word 97 file from within Word Perfect - well you could under Word Perfect 9.0. Such files should be capable of being opened by all versions of Word from 97 onwards.

Island Boy
02-22-2004, 04:46 PM
Many thanks to you guys, Yoda, Whyzman and Paul. You replied so promptly I coundn't believe it!

In looking at the word Perfect files I could Save as, I see one called MS Word 97/2000/2002 for Windows. I guess this is the one Paul is referring to. There are many others also, some referring to older versions of Word Perfect. If I use this MS Word one, do you think I would be able to save my documents just as I have typed them? (I can use adobe also, but I'd like to try the MS Word 97 if it would work accurately. Thanks again.

Island Boy

Whyzman
02-22-2004, 04:52 PM
I would check with your friend and "save as" based on his/her version of WP.

If the documents are pretty much text I wouldn't worry about any problems with the transfer. At some point I'm sure WP and MW had to come to some kind of file transfer agreement or alienate their users.

If your friend cannot even attempt to open the files you might also want to check email security to make sure attachment opening is being allowed.

Island Boy
02-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Thanks, Whyzman. Will follow this up as soon as I can contact my friend.

Island Boy