PDA

View Full Version : virtual memory

Maverick54
02-22-2004, 12:01 PM
I just bought a new pc Emachines and it has 64mb ram on Mobo
running windows xp home
i have a game that i play on line call EverQuest when i play it runs ok ,but when i leave the game a message come up low on virtual memory
do i need a new vidio card to fix this all my other games play fine
i have
3000+ AMD proessor
80gig HD
512 mb ddr
can someone help me on this
thank you
john

Budfred
02-22-2004, 12:09 PM
Virtual memory is memory on your hard drive and it is unlikely that a new video card would make much difference for that. More RAM might, but you can also just adjust the amount of space that WinXP allots for virtual memory... I am not sure where that setting is because I am not running WinXP, but I am guessing you can find it in My Computer. Someone more familiar with WinXP should be along soon with details....

Maverick54
02-22-2004, 12:13 PM
thank you for your fast reply.I love this place you people are so helpful.

YODA74
02-22-2004, 12:21 PM
I am not sure where that setting is because I am not running WinXP,

To set the virtual memory page file in XP, first Right Click the My Computer icon. Select PROPERTIES. This opens the System Propteries box. Select the Advanced Tab and then click the Performance Settings button.

Paul Komski
02-22-2004, 12:53 PM
but when i leave the game a message come up low on virtual memory

Is this affecting anything on your computer? If not then its just a warning message. I have known WinXP to reallocate virtual memory when such messages appear - even when I have already specified minimum and maximum pagefile sizes!

Do you have lots of free space on your HDD?

Sylvander
02-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Virtual Memory is provided in practice by your [paging or] Swap file [supplementing your RAM].
Under normal circumstances Windows manages the [location (on the C: drive) and] size of that swap file by dynamically calculating the space required and allocating enough space "on the fly".
It increases and decreases your swap file to match the need.

Usually you would only run out of space when you ran out of room on the C: drive. [Your C: drive is almost full of files.]
Is your game perhaps filling the drive with files?

If you had changed that arrangement and told Windows to use a fixed size swap file [in a location of your choosing], and you had not allocated a big enough size, that might be an alternative reason why you do not have a big enough swap file to cope.

shanmuga
02-23-2004, 03:26 AM
Does the message you are getting say something like: "Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied." If yes, do you have installed on your computer the Symantec Norton Personal Firewall program? If yes, the problem and its solution may be as described in MS KB Article 811153 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811153)

But if the message you get just says that your virtual memory is low (and doesn't say anything about Windows increasing the size of your virtual memory), then resize your virtual memory. For instructions on how to do that, MS KB Article 308417 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308417), and once there, go to the section entitled "To Change the Size of the Virtual Memory Paging File."

Also, checkout the http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/registry.htm , look for the 'Gaming Windows XP Services Configuration', well down the page.