PDA

View Full Version : If you have a router --do you still need XP firewall?

Grumper
02-23-2004, 08:04 AM
I have a Linksys 8 port router with 6 computers feeding from it---I do P2P file exchange and have 2 holes punched in my router so I can exchange.Im have a broadband connection.

Would there be any advantage to enabling Win Xp Fire Wall and If I did would there be a problem with the P2P file exchanging??

Thanks

Abbadon
02-23-2004, 08:17 AM
I would keep a decent firewall up and running at all times, even if you have a router with built-in firewall.

P.S.: the winxp firewall does not qualify as "decent" ;) Try kerio for a decent free firewall.

deddard
02-23-2004, 08:40 AM
Agree with the above post - a home Router can only do so much - software firewalls (the poor excuse that comes with XP isn't included in this list) are much more readily configured. Make sure you keep regular backup copies of any updated firewall files on cd-r/rw in case things go wrong.
I haven't used kerio myself, but it does seem to get some good reviews as it is a freebie and does it's job.
Software firewalls are good at stopping things going outbound from your pc - spyware etc, although they are not infallible. The SPI firewall in your router is great at stopping stuff coming in - as long as it is configured correctly.

shanmuga
02-23-2004, 09:06 AM
Even if your router has in built firewall, it's always better to run it in conjuntion with a good sw firewall. Since the router firewall blocks only Incoming, any communication initiated from any of your LANís computers will go out to the Internet, and will be answered. An inbound firewall will do you no good if a trojan back door program is running on your computer.A software firewall will alert you to a new program attempting to reach the internet. So if all the sudden a new unknown program is trying to get out you can lock down your system and run anti-virus and anti-spyware programs and try to isolate the trojan. You'll also have a program name and you can do searches online with google to try an ID it.

Unfortunately WinXP internal Firewall (ICF) is a "Basic Firewall" that functions as part of the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and thus does not add anything to the Routerís protection. As you are using a DSL Router you are better off disabling ICF.