PDA

View Full Version : System Information tool shows error

EricG
02-24-2004, 07:09 AM
Hi

I recently purchased a new custom built PC (Pentium 4, 1 Gb RAM) which quickly developed a fault in one of the RAM Modules.

The PC was returned for repair and at the same time I had the RAM increased to 2 Gb.

When the PC powers up it shows the 2 GB RAM during POST but when I have Windows XP Home loaded and look at the system information tool it only shows 1024 Mb RAM but strangely a figure of around 1.65 Gb unused the balance presumably being used by all the current running processes).

This seems to suggest that that the 2 Gb RAM is there but that the System Information programme hasn't picked up the added 1 Gb RAM. I want to be certain that the extra RAM is "active" in Windows.

Is there a reason for this and is there any means of updating the System Information programme or have I got a screwed up installation of something or other? Or doesn't it matter?

Any help wopuld be appreciated.

gracious
02-24-2004, 03:38 PM
What does it say when you do control/alt/delete, the performance tab?

EricG
02-24-2004, 04:23 PM
Hi gracious

I don't know where the "performance" tab is.

Eric

EricG
02-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Hi again

I've just had a look at the "Task manager" performance tab and that shows the 2 GB RAM installed so why doesn't the System Information programme show it, I wonder?

Very curious!

Eric