PDA

View Full Version : Disable Disk Checking in XP?

John0904
02-24-2004, 12:20 PM
I would like to completely disable that on startup.

I have checked every resource I could find and found nothing on the subject. I would like to think it would be possible.

Thanks.

jabarnutcase
02-24-2004, 01:07 PM
Not sure exactly what you mean John.

I know in Tweakui for XP, there is a box you can uncheck under General Settings to "optimize Hard Disk when idle"....Is that it? :confused:

John0904
02-24-2004, 02:16 PM
If Windows XP shuts down improperly (power outage, forced reboot, etc), on startup, it will do a disk check for errors.

I realize I can just press ESC to bypass it (till next startup) but not once I have any errors and would like to manually do that myself when needed.

If you want to see what I mean, save/close any open files and press the reset button. It should do a disk check before Windows loads.

I know Windows 95/98/ME has this option. (Otherwise known as Scandisk.)
Does XP?

Thanks.

jabarnutcase
02-24-2004, 04:11 PM
OK- I've got you now John.....Good question.
Interestingly, mine will not run a "scandisk" (or "Error Checking" as it is called now,) if shut down improperly.

It seems to me I may have indeed disabled it somewhere, but I'll be darned if I know where. (I'm also running XP Pro)
I was thinking it was somewhere in "startup and recovery" in the advanced tab of System Properties, but I can't seem to find it.

Then I was thinking it was an option in the properties of the Drive itself in "My Computer"...Not there either- (Although you can schedule one there-("Tools" Tab), but if you check "automatically fix errors", it won't complete it until the next boot- Unlike the old scandisk which would run with Windows loaded).

Maybe I'll find it sooner or later, or someone else with XP will remember.....Or maybe mine just doesn't do it because it's afraid of me.:p

Actually, I don't think you can do an "error check" including "fix any errors" during a Windows session with XP anyway...It has to be during start-up.
I still don't know how I got mine not to run it though after an unexpected shutdown.

BTW- Would have replied sooner, but I just spent the last 2 Hours "e-filing" my Tax Return......More fun than any human should be allowed to have. :mad:

Paul Komski
02-24-2004, 06:03 PM
Is Disable File Protection (http://www.roger.id.au/visual/fileprotection.htm) what you want to do?

Actually it looks like a Registry Hack
See http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20831134.html

jabarnutcase
02-24-2004, 06:12 PM
I think he just wants to prevent Windows from running "Scandisk" ("Error Checking" in XP) automatically during re-boot after an improper shutdown Paul.

Like I mentioned above, mine doesn't. Not sure how I achieved that though.

Interesting link none the less. ;)

YODA74
02-24-2004, 06:12 PM
Windows XP does this a different way due to the fact it is basically an NT type of system. Instead of Scandisk, Windows XP uses " chkdsk " which XP does for you when you request it but must REBOOT to do it. So when you choose it, XP says "' chkdsk ' will be done on your next restart". Personally I boot into 'Safe Mode' to do my "Check Disk" and "Defragmenter" utilities so that nothing else from Windows is loaded when they initiate.

Paul Komski
02-24-2004, 06:19 PM
... or you can run chkntfs (with the appropriate switches) as per http://libertyboy.free.fr/computing/tips/

jabarnutcase
02-24-2004, 06:23 PM
Yes- That's what I was trying to explain...You did it better with fewer words though. :p

Still, if you have an "unexpected" shutdown, does it run automatically when it re-boots? Because mine doesn't, but apparently Johns does. :confused:

(Edit) Whoops- Hi there Paul! :D

Paul Komski
02-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Hi - LOL :D

Didn't realise there was so much stuff on that page. This (http://libertyboy.free.fr/computing/tips/#w_oo_chk) should jump to the correct position.

jabarnutcase
02-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Wow! Now that page I like! ;)

Wait until John0904 checks back and sees what a Monster he created. :D

John0904
02-24-2004, 08:24 PM
Brilliant guys! I think that may have done it. :)

Instead of changing the registry itself, I used the 'chkntfs /?' to see what switches I could use and ended up using 'chkntfs /x d:'.

I then refreshed the registry and seen the appropriate changes at:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager]
"BootExecute"

I wanted to disable my D: because it took 30> minutes just for the disk check. Close to 64GB of data it has to scan.
My other partitions are less than 10GB and don't care if disk checks runs on those.

BTW, I went to experts-exchange web site and the suggestion that Fatal_Exception suggested was wrong and could cause problems. That particular registry entry is binary and not a string value.

I'll test this and edit or reply back.

Edit:
Seems to be working. I shut off the computer rather than a soft reboot without shutting down Windows first.

I've been looking for this solution for almost a week now. Wanted to research it first to see what I could find. Couldn't find nothing.

Thanks all for the replies and help.
*bows*