PDA

View Full Version : Help! Strange program running

Kumaiti
02-25-2004, 04:11 AM
I was checking the Task Manager and found this program running in the background:
wmiprvse.exe

It is located in the following folder:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem

I don´t know if it is something related to windows but the program properties says its a microsoft program. I would like to know if that is true.

THanks.

ErnieK
02-25-2004, 04:55 AM
Kamaiti
First go to the link below and look for MJC's post, then scroll down the list until you see "HiJack This" and download it;
http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15179

After you have it inststalled run Start-Up list and post the log into your thread. One of the others will have a look at it for you and let you know what is what.

malcore
02-25-2004, 05:04 AM
Windows Management Instrumentation.It is a legitimate Windows file. See this link (http://computercops.us/postt18303.html).

It will also start and show in the task manager if you start a program like System Information. If it is always on and uses more and more resources, you may want to find out what is causing it, whether software or hardware.

Not spy/malware though, if that's what you're worried about.

shanmuga
02-25-2004, 05:07 AM
Windows Management Instrumentation Provider Service
It's a legitimate program.Leave it alone. This service is a manual service and does not run by default. It runs on demand when an application requests performance data. Once that application disconnects, the service stops.

" Essential – leave alone. Note that, as with SVCHOST, there may be more than one instance of WMIPRVSE running in your Task List : this is normal. Also, some users will never have witnessed the WMIPRVSE service running on their Windows XP/2003 PC, and then notice it running one day and every day thereafter : this is also normal and will in most cases be the result of some software having been installed (and installing WMI provider services) or the result of a Windows Update. Finally, as with SVCHOST, if you experience errors or excess CPU usage with WMIPRVSE, the problem will in almost all cases be with the WMI provider process that WMIPRVSE is hosting, not with WMIPRVSE itself, or you may have a hardware problem or incompatibility which is not yet at the "serious" stage – see if Microsoft’s Windows Update has WMI related fixes for your PC/Server; also, on a network, we have empirical evidence that poor network card drivers or chipsets on any part of the network may result in excessive CPU usage by WMIPRVSE." From answersthatwork.

If you want to know more run this command wmimgmt.msc, and browse through the help topics.

Kumaiti
02-25-2004, 06:34 AM
Thanks a lot. I was worried I had been infected with some spyware.