PDA

View Full Version : cleaning up Windows 95?

kourso
02-26-2004, 01:44 AM
What can I do to get more hard drive space. What temp files/folders can I delete? Which ones in the windows folder?????? I need more space badly but I can't identify any useless programs to remove? I have defraged several times and I only have 2 to 45 mb on the hard drive now. I need to know what can be safely removed to make some space.
thanks

tommy
02-26-2004, 04:16 AM
I can't suggest any specific files/folders to remove -- but why don't you try to use FIND(F3)|ADVANCED then for SIZE IS select "greater than" then enter a large number, say 1000 (KB). Then click on "find now". When the list is complete, click on SIZE (heading) which will sort the list by size. Then see if you can identify any of YOUR large files that can be deleted or copied to floppies, etc.

CuratoR
02-26-2004, 04:38 AM
You can safely remove the belows,
I'm assuming you've got windows installed in the C drive in a directory name Windows.

C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\ everything Inside this
C:\Windows\Temp\ everything Inside this
c:\Found.000 type of directories in the root. scandisk recovered directories

*.gid temp files created when help files are executed, not needed
*.chk scandisk recovered files
*.tmp temporary files created
*.wbk
*.??~
~*.* temporary files created by office applications like Words, Excel etc.

*.bak

Uninstall Windows components that you don't use.
eg like, games, system tools etc.
Got the Control Panel ==> Add/Remove Programs and untick what you don't need

If you still don't get the free space you need, you maye remove the belows file,
*.log log files written by windows and or other applications, be careful you may need them
*.hlp Help Files, if you want space very badly but do be careful you may need them

I hope you know how to you those wildcards I've given. Open the Find from the Start Menu and then enter them, eg *.chk and click Find. And when the search is completed, have a quick look, select all and delete!!!
Before deleting anything, plzzz take a quick look to make sure that they're not the required stufss your creaqted on purpose.

I'm sorry I don't know other Windows 95 specific delete-able stuffs becuz its been very long.

Plzzz post back, tell us how much space you gained after doing aboves ;)
Page file can be adjusted as well.

CuratoR

shanmuga
02-26-2004, 04:55 AM
Have a look at this (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=25943) thread. You can clean an OS by emptying the recycle bin, clearing out temp files, temp internet files, unused windows programs and other 3rd party programs. Any number of freeware/shareware programs allow you to clean out the recyclebin/temp/temp internet files. Have a look here (http://www.sharewarejunkies.com/win_cleanup.htm).

For uninstalling unused components in windows

Start > Settings > Control Panel)
Open Add/Remove Programs
Select the Windows Setup tab
Select the components you want to remove and press OK.

BTW, what is the total capacity of your hard disk ?

CuratoR
02-26-2004, 05:35 AM
For uninstalling unused components in windows
Start > Settings > Control Panel)
Open Add/Remove Programs
Select the Windows Setup tab
Select the components you want to remove and press OK.

Oh my gawddd! I accidentally instructed wrongly for uninstalling unused components in windows. Shanmuga has posted correctly.

Sylvander
02-26-2004, 09:53 AM
If you have "Zone Alarm" installed, see this
http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26130&highlight=ZA
for insructions on how to eliminate the HUGE usage of space by it's unnecessary files.

Install "Disk Frontier" if you can get it [try here http://dl.winsite.com/bin/downl?500000031670], and study which folders/files are using the most space and study them to see if they are unnecessary.

Sylvander
02-26-2004, 10:17 AM
RE-SIZE YOUR SPACE ALLOCATED TO THE TEMP INT FILES FOLDER
Go to "Internet Explore>Tools>General>Temporary Internet Files>Settings>Temp Int Files Folder" and allocate about 50MB.
[Unless you don't have a broadband connection and are forced to use saved copies rather than wait for the slow download every time.]

If you had a 2nd HDD I'd advise moving the folder off the C: drive along with:
a. My Documents.
b. E-mails for all identities.
c. Internet Explorer Favourites.
d. Re-home the [Win98] Microsoft Address Book as shown here http://tinyurl.com/2adxv . Use the key “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4\Wab FileName” to specify its new address. [Its normal home address [in Win98] is C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book.]

If you have a CD-RW drive you could use CD-RW disks like small HDD's or huge floppy's and archive [save] data to these disks. You could work from these just like a HDD.
I save all downloaded installation programs this way and also any wave and mp3 files.

classicsoftware
02-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Download eraser here (http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/) and set it to erase your c:\windows\temporary internet files folder.

Set it to remove subfolders

Set it to remove sub folders only.

You will be surprised how much disk space you can claim.

having said that, once you use eraser and follow the other suggestions listed by the other posters. Depending on how much RAM you have, Windows may claim the new space for the swap file. Yiu may just need a new larger hard drive.

How much RAM

How big is the hard drive?

Sylvander
02-26-2004, 12:37 PM
I moved my swap file off the C: drive and made it of fixed size between 1.5 & 3 times my RAM.

kourso can delete his "Temporary Internet Files" folder, but it will just be re-made and begin to re-fill to its previous size unless he alters the configuration setting for the space to be allocated to it.

I recently downloaded and began to use Eraser, and I'm really pleased with it, but I don't think I'd use it to repeatedly delete the folder.
Better just to tell windows what size to limit it to. Then Windows will automatically delete all the oldest files to maintain that storage size.

kourso
02-26-2004, 03:41 PM
I will try some of these things to cleanup/recover hdd space. I only knew of the windows temp files/internet temp files that I have been deleting. What about the windows/recent folder???????? Anybody knows anything about that one and if I can clean it out??
Thanks to all that replied

Paul Komski
02-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Disk Compression (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/windows/win95/faq/part11/) of part of your HDD could also give you some extra space, but at the expense of a more unstable system and a reduction of performance.

Adding another HDD could be a better possibility depending on how old your hardware is and what you have already installed onto it.

Sylvander
02-26-2004, 04:53 PM
Disk Frontier shows me that on my PC "C:\Windows\Recent", at 16,333 Bytes is one of the smallest folders of all.

SIZE BREAKDOWN
1. At 653MB, the Programs folder is the biggest holding:
a. 120MB, Microsoft Office, the biggest.
b. 113MB UK-Info Disk
c. 83MB Adobe [Photoshop & Acrobat]
c. 64MB AVG anti-virus
d. 54MB Common Files
e. 34MB CD-Writer Plus [HP,EasyCDcreator,DirectCD]
f. 21MB Internet Explorer
g. 19MB Familysearch [family tree prog]
h. 9MB Spybot
i. 9MB Zonelabs [ZoneAlarm]

2. At 524MB, the Windows folder is next, holding:
a. 215MB System folder
b. 34MB Windows Update Setup files
c. 33MB "Win386.swp" (swap file INVESTIGATE)
D. 30MB Java folder
e. 27MB Fonts folder
f. 26MB Sysbckup folder

Only 2c needs investigation.
This is because I've already eliminated all the obviously unnecessary space hogs.

icywolf
02-28-2004, 09:02 PM
Best way would be a new hard drive...
second best way would be format windows (format c:\ in dos) and reinstall from scratch with backup of only what you need
You can try what other poster gave you...