PDA

View Full Version : Program Compatibility Wizard

EricG
02-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Hi

I have been trying to run a program on my old PC (Pentium III 800 MHz) that was originally using Me but was upgraded to XP Home a few months ago. The program requires me to use the compatibility wizard to run it (and to remember the settings) but the link to it (Programs >Accessories >Program Compatibiity Wizard) is not there. It is there on my new PC with XP Home OEM installed.

If I open Properties from the shortcut on my new PC it shows a target that is greyed out and not an accessible program.

Can anyone tell me how to "find" an alternative link to the Program Compatibility Wizard or tell me why it might apparently be missing from my old PC?

Paul Komski
02-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Have you checked to see if its there from | All Programs | Accessories | Program Compatibility Wizard |

If not then right click on the desktop and choose new shortcut - enter the location as hcp://system/compatctr/compatmode.htm and call it a name of your choice.

Good Luck.

EricG
02-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Hi Paul

Many thanks for that information.

I had already found the link from my new PC but perhapos went about it the wrong way, because I tried to do a seach for files etc using the target hcp://system/compatctr/compatmode.htm but the search engine wouldn't recognise it. I tested your method on my PC and it worked fine.

Your method is something I hadn't heard of before so I shall try it on my old PC (it's now at my Son's house) when I next visit. I just hope that this facility is there on the PC!

Eric

Paul Komski
02-27-2004, 03:55 PM
The actual relevant file is located at C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\System\CompatCtr but it wont render correctly if you simply open the compatmode.htm file in your browser (even with its activeX control enabled).

The URI prefix hpc:// relates to MS's Help and Support Centre, of which the Program Compatibility Wizard is just one part.

I'm sure you will find a way to work it on your son's PC

;)

EricG
02-28-2004, 05:31 AM
Hi Paul

Thanks. Another avenue to investigate.