PDA

View Full Version : Task Manager XP Pro

ValeWhale
02-26-2004, 06:13 PM
Heres a strange one related to the "three finger salute" - control- alt- delete in Windows XP Pro.

I use an administrator account in XP Pro, but when I try to call up Task Manager, I get a message box saying "administrator has disabled task manager" and I cannot get it to function. Weird huh ?

Clicking the appropraite icon in Windows Explorer gives the same message too, although I have no recollection of disabling TaskManager.

Any ideas on how to re-enable - most welcome - pls post

Thanks

Valewhale :)

jabarnutcase
02-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Have a look here (http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270-1054840.html)

(In particular, the the Group Policy settings section)

ValeWhale
02-27-2004, 04:58 PM
Hi Jabarnutcase :)

I followed the advice an managed to reset my Task Manager as you suggested using gpedit.msc which I didnt know about, never having used it before. It worked on both PC's first time, after a couple of scarey weeks trying everything without much success.

Incidentally, the disappearance of Task Manager on both PC's co-incided with the installation of TweakXP Pro on both PC's :confused:

Thanks Buddy for the link and help - much appreciated :)

mjc
02-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Well, yes that is one of the options available in TweakXP, in fact you could have used TweakXP to undo that change...

jabarnutcase
02-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Hi ValeWhale-

Glad it worked out for you....Yes, as mjc mentioned, I might have suggested you go back to Tweakxp and look around had I known that the problem started after downloading the program.

I use TweakUI, which also has a bunch of tweaks related to the Group Policy editor.

Strange though, if you never heard of gpedit.msc, or made any changes yourself, it must have happened by simply downloading the program?

Anyway, glad everything is a-ok. :)