PDA

View Full Version : Java Script

EricG
02-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Hi

I tried to communicate with the Epson site on a Printer problem using their e-talk service, which I have used without a problem in the past.

This time I couldn't get "in" - the message said to enable Java Script in my browser (Internet Explorer 6).

How do I do this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Eric

YODA74
02-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Go to Tools > Internet Options > Security > Custom Level. Scroll down and see if Java Script is "Enable".

EricG
02-28-2004, 04:30 AM
Hi

I have done this and found "scripting of Java applets" which is enabled. Is this the item you were referring to? Please confirm.

If it is, I can only assume that the Epson e-talk service was not functioning properly.

Thanks

Eric

Fruss Tray Ted
02-28-2004, 08:32 AM
In 98SE there's 3 different items pertaining to JAVA Scripting. And it is neccessary to reboot to take effect.

Also you may try lowering your firewall somewhat while at the site.

What new apps may you have installed since when it was working properly? A/V's etc.?

EricG
02-28-2004, 12:51 PM
Hi

I have a new PC but still with Windows XP Home and all the programmes are exactly as before with my old PC apart from Microsoft Works 7 instead of Ofice XP and Norton Anti-Virus 2003 instead of Norton System Works 2002 with NAV 2003. It also has PowerDVD installed to support the DVD-RW, although Nero 6 will provide the same facility and more.

I now have a Pentium IV Dual Processor instead of a Pentium III and a DVD-RW. My new PC also has USB 2 plus Firewire and also a Networking facility. I also Nero 6 (including InCD)instead of Nero 5.5.

I haven't set my Security levels any differently and both PCs have the XP Firewall enabled.

Fruss Tray Ted
02-28-2004, 01:26 PM
...still with Windows XP Home and all the programmes are exactly as before with my old PC apart from...

Why don't you just say it is an entirely new build? Newer softwares, A/V's apps, mobo, in effect it is.

So am I safe to assume that you have never had any success at the Epson site with this pc? Keeping the 2 pc's apart in description will help us to see the big picture better.

Is the original pc still running? Can you access the site with that one?

The dual-pro pc, can you browse and function in all other sites without probs?

Have you used the older HDD in the newer system? Was it a fresh install? Did you install programs one at a time? And verify from time to time?

An easy way to check for JAVAscript enabled or not is to click on a smilie in the reply page here at pcg. If it works, it is enabled. Otherwise you get an hourglass that never completes next to your cursor.

PrntRhd
02-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Do you have Java installed on the new install at all?
JVM not being shipped with XP on some now.
Try this test: here (http://javatester.org/version.html)

Paul Komski
02-28-2004, 06:11 PM
You don't have to change any of the Java settings if you just want to enable javascript (http://www.umanitoba.ca/acn/support/websites/Javascript/ie6.html) which is not the same as Java.

EricG
03-02-2004, 06:05 AM
Hi guys

Thanks for all your recent comments.

My old PC is now with my son and not yet connected to the internet so I cannot try that again.

I have now established that I have Javascript on my new PC and it is enabled. I also found out that the site I tried to access is temporarily closed so cannot try that again until after 4th March. Why it gave me the message it did I don't know.