PDA

View Full Version : windows server 2003

Jabberwocky
02-27-2004, 07:13 PM
Ok.. just built a PC and having a few driver problems with my old win98 (first edition) {just posted another post about drivers}. I do have a legitimate copy of windows server (enterprise edition) 2003.

So .. first question .. if i install this do i get win2000 plus add ons .. or win XP with add ons?

Does it have all the authentication stuff of XP - I'm constantly changing hardware configuration so can't get into that business.

second .... am i letting myself in for trouble *l*..... anyone know about windows server 2003?

third ... need 128MB of RAM (which is all i've currently got) but it looks like the on board graphics is hijacking 32MB ... can i fool it into installing .. and will it fall over if i do?

*just wondering why i don't get simple problems* ..

:D

PrntRhd
02-27-2004, 10:02 PM
I would recommend more memory.
:)

shanmuga
02-27-2004, 11:37 PM
"So .. first question .. if i install this do i get win2000 plus add ons .. or win XP with add ons?"

Windows 2003 is a server operating system.Windows XP is a workstation operating system. You don't compare the two, both are used for different things.If you need a network server Windows Server2003 is the way to go. If you need a desktop OS Windows XP or Windows 2000 Pro would be the right way to go.

"Does it have all the authentication stuff of XP

Yes, It has a similar activation process to that of XP.

"..... anyone know about windows server 2003?"

System Restore not included

Universal Plug & Play not supported at all

Fast User Switching not included

Welcome Screen not included

does not support many older hardware devices.

"need 128MB of RAM (which is all i've currently got) but it looks like the on board graphics is hijacking 32MB ... can i fool it into installing .. and will it fall over if i do?"

It will definitely. The recommended ram requirement is 256MB.

Budfred
02-28-2004, 02:32 AM
Win2000Pro does not require activation... I am running it and have never had to activate it...