PDA

View Full Version : keyboard error

vrosete13
02-28-2004, 04:28 AM
hi when i'm trying to boot my pc(win XP) i get a blue screen. it says the error was cause by the file win32.sys...but i'm guessing that i'm having this error becuase my keyboard stops working at the middle of the boot up process of windows...

ok here it goes...when i boot up my pc the keyboard works(i know it because of the numLock light)...but when the windows is booting up and after the mouse is enabled(I have an optical mouse so it lights up) my keyboard will stop working(all the lights in the keyboard lighs up then off then when i try to press the numLock it doesn't light up) and then i get the blue screen...

I think the problem is my PS/2 ports...but when i boot up redhat9(dualboot) the keyboard works...i'm confuse...

well i'm now i'm thinking of buying a usb keyboard tommorow but if anyone can help me pls rply and thank in advance...

deddard
02-28-2004, 05:06 AM
Welcome aboard!
Can you boot into safe mode? Is the keyboard a standard one, or does i t have extra keys (mail etc)
It could be that windows is loading it's own drivers and falls on it's backside if they are corrupt.
Try the safe mode first and let us know how you get on.

vrosete13
02-28-2004, 06:57 AM
no i can't boot in safe mode...it hangs i think in the part where driver and agp something(sorry i forgot) file is loaded...actually i also get a blue screen after that...and yes my keyboard is standard...i think its the drivers that's causing the error...

Fruss Tray Ted
02-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Sounds like one of 2 things:

Possible hardware beginning to fail - not neccessarily the keyboard,

And OS corruption.

Try going into BIOS and using the keys there. You may want to try without the harddrive connected. If it works without the drive, it would appear the HDD is on it's way out. Begin diagnostics on it, if so. Also try reseating your video card firmly, possibly removing other peripherals such as CD-ROM's etc.

Also a repair install of XP might help.

With REDHAT working, it sounds like the video drivers (in XP) or OS is the prob. After reseating, remove video drivers from Device Manager and reboot, reload.

vrosete13
02-28-2004, 03:47 PM
how do i remove the drivers if i can't even go to the login screen...

ok when i boot in safemode...when this file is loaded /DRIVERS/agp440.sys i get a bluescreen...and in the screen it says their is an error in the file win32k.sys

Fruss Tray Ted
02-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Read This (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324764) You might want to print it out if you don't have a pc beside the one you're working on.

Hope it helps.

Paul Komski
02-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Your original post referred to win32.sys (which is not a real WinXP file AFAIK) and I now see you have corrected this to win32k.sys (which is a real windows file).

There is a BSOD associated with this using Win2K and caused by a virus (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q294/7/28.ASP&NoWebContent=1) so it would seem wise to get into safe mode and run an a/v and other anti malware scans.

vrosete13
02-29-2004, 12:22 AM
good news i finally been able to boot windows successfully...but bad news...now all my fonts are composed of weird characters(boxes,X,///,etc)...most of my programs are affected except netscape...pls help