PDA

View Full Version : Hard Disk Partition

dicksonnkoch
02-29-2004, 02:13 AM
Hi,

The most dreadful thing happen to my pc.MY HARD DISK CRASH!!!!!!!:mad:

I have brought a new hard disk of the same type and capacity (80MB).

My OS is Win98SE.

I don't have the sligthest idea how to go about to get my pc up &

running.

May someone guide me through by step by step..plsssssss.

Thks :confused: :confused:MY HARD DISK CRASH

Budfred
02-29-2004, 02:31 AM
Welcome to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif

How much have you done with the hardware of your computer already? You will need to open the box, remove the old dead drive, install the new one and hook it up. The hard drive probably came with a poster showing how to install it. If not, we can walk you through it. The most crucial thing once it is in place is to make sure the cables are plugged in well and correctly. It is also important to check the jumpers on the back of the drive before you install since you usually have to pull it again to change them. Usually it will be Master, Cable Select or a single drive setting. Instructions should have come with the drive.

Once it is installed, you will need to partition and format it. It probably came with a floppy disk that will do this for you, but if you are using WinXP, you can use the WinXP CD to partition and format and then install WinXP. With an 80 gig drive, you might want to consider using up to about 4 partitions. This divides your drive into what are essentially different drives that you can use for different purposes. For instance, I have my Windoze install on a 10 gig partition. This means it is easier to backup and defrag rather than going for the whole drive at one time....

If you use the disk that came with the drive, it will explain most of what you need to know. If you use the WinXP CD, it will as well. Post back if you run into trouble....

Paleo Pete
02-29-2004, 09:39 AM
My OS is Win98SE

Budfred: GO GET SOME SLEEP! :D

hehe...couldn't resist when I saw the timestamp...

With win98 you should be able to use the drive manufacturer's software to set up the partitions you need. With a drive that size I always go with a small partition for Windows/applications and the rest for storage, but whatever floats your boat...

Jumper settings: Usually Cable Select works best with 80 conductor cables, you should find a diagram in the poster Budfred mentioned and many drives have it on a label on the drive itself. He's right, make sure the jumper setting is correct before putting it in the case. You have to remove it to change, most of the time.

dicksonnkoch
03-06-2004, 02:46 AM
Hi,

I have replaced the new hard disk and plugged all its cables correctly(Hopefully).The jumper on my existing unit was set to "Master" and i followed accordingly.
There was NO instruction neither does it come with a floopy disk.
:confused:

When i powered-up my pc the only thing that display was A:>?

What is the next step i should do?

Tkhs for help guys so far

Dicksonnkoch

Paul Komski
03-06-2004, 05:51 AM
Which floppy diskette are you using to get an A prompt - Is it a normal boot floppy diskette. Generally speaking the next step is to partition the HDD. To do this one would type and enter fdisk at the A prompt. Then choose to enable large disk support and then choose to make a dos partition; customise its size if you want multiple partitions; mark the first partition as active; then create logical partitions inside an extended partition if you want more than one partition on the drive.

Reboot.

When the A prompt returns you will need to format the drive or drives on it by entering format C: and format D: etc, etc.

Reboot (with the Win98 installation CD in the CDROM drive) and choose to have CD support. Note which drive letter relates to the CDROM. It will usually be two letters more than the last drive you partitioned on the HDD. If you have four HDD partitions C, D, E and F for example then the CDROM is likely to be H: and so on.

Type H: at the A prompt.
Type dir /p at the H prompt.

If this lists the files on the CD (including a Win98 folder on it) then you are in the right drive.

Type other drive letters followed by dir/p if you want to check-out the other drives.

Now at the H prompt enter setup and follow the screen prompts.

This is all probably outlined better elsewhere but I was feeling bored this morning.

;)

dicksonnkoch
03-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys i finally get my pc up and running.

Appreciate for all your valuable advise.

Thks