PDA

View Full Version : system freeze

Jumby
03-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Not really sure where this should be posted, but I'll start here. New motherboard (Asus P4PE-X), CPU (2.4 GHz w/Intel fan), memory (PNY DDR2700), video card (MadDog Predator MX 440 8X w/GeForce 4 64mb). System will freeze after a while. Could be a few hours, or a couple of days. Originally had Kingston memory, but that seemed to cause problems, so I changed it to PNY. I usually use Crucial memory and have never had problems, but this was on sale, so I tried it. I also like ATI video cards, but decided to try this one. Any thoughts about the freezing problem? Could any of these be the culprit? I have updated drivers.

ski
03-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Remove and reseat all cards and the RAM making sure they are fully seated, all connections are secure, nothing is overclocked, and only Default settings are used in BIOS(specifically for the memory).

If no luck, then run a memory test with this utility:
http://www.memtest86.com/

If a lot of memory errors show up, then try the RAM in different slots.

If that does not work, then try different RAM, preferably Crucial(as you had mentioned), Mushkin, or Corsair.

Jumby
03-03-2004, 11:07 PM
reseated stuff. I couldn't get memtest86 to work. I'll try again. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks

Whyzman
03-04-2004, 12:30 AM
What's the situation with the total system? Was this a new Motherboard with a reinstalled Operating System? Has it ever worked correctly??

I would suggest stripping it back to barebones (Video, RAM, Keyboard and Mouse) and see if you make it through POST...

You might want to even go into the BIOS this early on and monitor the temp from there while it idles...

Add the floppy and then run the memory test. Add the harddrive and follow with the harddrive diagnostics...