PDA

View Full Version : please please let me know my pics are not gone

ygboi
03-03-2004, 11:28 AM
hello all,

can someone please please give me some sort of reassurance that i can recover my prized and dear pics of my friend's daughter's b'day that i foolishly cut and pasted from a failing hdd, to a temp internal hdd, and then onto a whole different computer? here's exactly what happened.

1) my friend's pc running XP pro was acting up. they asked me to backup their pics. so i placed all of the pics in a new folder and named it "all pix"

2) i installed a spare hdd of mine as a slave drive, and did a cut/paste of the "all pix" folder onto it.

i thought everything was perfect, fine and done because i was able to show him and his wife their pics on my drive. they were very happy.

3) i removed the slave drive and brought it to my parents house because they had a dvd and cd burner on their sony vaio. so i thought i would just connect the hdd to it and transfer the pics, then burn them. well out of pure stupidity, i did another cut/paste! after the "all pix" folder was on the sony pc, i left for the day feeling very good about the process.

come to find out when i returned home 2 days later, my sister had deleted the folder AND emptied the recycle bin! on top of that, she surfed the web and did homework! i asked her how long it's been since she emptied the bin, and she said soon after i left. i've tried trial versions of everything and i am completely lost. i'm assuming that she's already overwritten these files in the last 5 days now of web browsing. my question is, is there any way at all to find these on the other 2 drives after my idiotic cut/pastes? i have not yet informed my friend. i can only spare $100 or so on software to do this if even possible. please let me know if it is. thank you to all who read this and even greater thanks to any who reply. you would be saving my life.

-yg

Budfred
03-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Welcome to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif

If you did not overwrite on the first two drives, it should be possible to recover those files (or at least most of them). One of the programs that you used to try to recover on the Sony would be worth a try. Just don't write anything to the drives until you check if at all possible....

ygboi
03-03-2004, 11:59 AM
a million thanks for the reply! the first drive, my friend's, has gone through system restores and everything since the cut/paste, so i guess i will rule that out. the second drive, mine, has been untouched with the exception of 2-3 boots. the sony, has also gone through system restores since, (my dad thought it would help), AND 5 days of web browsing, AND d/l & installation of about 4 trial versions of date recov. i'm not sure what to do, but it's worth a try. i found pcinspector on download.com today. will that enable me to recover 90+ pix, each over 1MB ea? is it truly freeware or will i run into limitations? if i can do one at a time even, i'm all for it. any other software recommendations? another question, when people say that the file remains on the hdd, until it is overwritten...what exactly would overwrite these? how much "activity" would overwrite these? i hear of people who are finding files from over a year back. is it a hit or miss thing?

again thank you so very much.

Paul Komski
03-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Suggest trying GetDataBack (http://www.runtime.org/) which a number of peeps have used very successfully. Trial version is free and the only limitation is that you will have to copy and paste each recovered file individually. To recover them in batches you would need to pay.

At the very least you should be able to scan the drives to see just what is recoverable and what is not. Usually a surprising amount is recoverable unless the HDD has actually failed - that is, of course, bad news when it happens.

Good Luck.

ygboi
03-03-2004, 04:02 PM
wow, posting here has been THE most NON-regrettable thing i've done in the last week. i've decided to go with PCinspector and GetDataBack. i don't mind spending hours recovering pictures, as they are of extreme value. from your replies, i'm pretty confident things will go ok tonight. i will absolutely post back tonight when i finish and let everyone know how many i recovered of the 90+. if either of you guys that replied were in my area when this is a success, it would be drinks on me all nite for 7 days straight, lol. thanks.