PDA

View Full Version : Virus vault

funhousegroup
03-04-2004, 01:27 AM
I have a PC that has a quarenteened virus and now programs wont run and there are other issues. I have not had a chance to check it out yet. anyone have experience with such matters. I had a PC that was running norton and did a had the same problem but I just reimaged it.
The present PC bleongs to a local company and has important data that cant be lost.
Does anyone know If I can do a reinstall w/ 200 xp and retain all programs and settings by just replacing OS files. Actually I know I have done it but cant remember wich option to chose during installattion.

Thanks, FH

Budfred
03-04-2004, 02:29 AM
If you have an internet connection from there, you can run an online scan and make sure the virus is really cleaned up. Most antivirus programs have the option to clean out quarantine, so I would try that. Then run the full set of scan with Spybot/AdAware and HJT... you know the drill...

PrntRhd
03-04-2004, 09:06 AM
FHG,
Always write down the name of the affected file when you quarantine something with an AV. Sometimes you may have to replace the damaged file and it surely beats having to reload the OS and starting over!
:rolleyes:

funhousegroup
03-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Well I finally got it cleaned up.
I had to go into msconfig and stop anything associated to Norton in the Startup and then delete the quarenteened file and then uninstall Norton. Everything seems to be working now. At least I was able to save the company data. The virus that caused the issue was MYDoom virus.
Thanks guys, FH