PDA

View Full Version : Win XP Recover/Ghost?Admin password problem

deddard
03-05-2004, 09:59 AM
I'm running XP Pro. Just installed Norton Ghost 2003.

For security, I want to clone the hard disk, and keep a copy so that I have an instant replacement should the primary become infected/break down etc.

I used Ghost successfully, cloning around 3GB onto a second disk.
I then swapped the disks over (they are in removable bays), went through the bios autodetect, rebooted, and the system hung at the point where it usually says 'windows is starting up'
No surprise there - I'd read on this forum that a repair installation using the cd was required, but I thought I'd try anyway!

I rebooted using the cd, entered the recovery console, and when it asked for the admin password, it wouldn't accept it.
I thougth I'd messed the password up or forgotten it, so I replaced the original disk, reset the password on there, cloned it again, and went through the procedure again.

The recovery console again refused the admin password.

I use control characters as part of my passwords - they are non-printable, and add extra security to passwords. (e.g. alt-025)
Does the recovery console have problems with these? or is it Ghost that has the problem?

Any information on this (or why else I could have gone wrong) would be appreciated.

mjc
03-05-2004, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about control character as part of the password, unless the machine in question is exposed to a lot of people who have time on their hands.....most crackers will use a keylogger to hack your password remotely, so even the ctrl characters are recorded.....

I would also give a "normal" password a shot.

deddard
03-11-2004, 04:37 AM
Just an update - getting rid of the control characters enabled me to access the recovery console, but didn't solve the ghost problem.
The ghost problem was solved by doing things the way they should be done! -
Ghost 2003 'allows' you to ghost from within windows (it creates a virtual partition and then boots into pc dos without user intervention)
This method seems to be flawed, and the old-fashioned way of creating a boot disk and taking it from there works fine.
I now have a backup HDD with a perfectly cloned copy of my system, hopefully I won't need it any time soon:D