PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98SE Setup Message

mike2002
03-07-2004, 09:37 PM
I did a full reformat and re-installation of Windows 98SE. At the completion stage, I was asked to insert the Window CD-ROM disk as some .dll files etc (quite a few) were missing.
As far as I can remember, it was trying to copy these files from C:\Windows\System\Precopy.
They included Protocol, Routetab, Services, Rapilib.dll, etc etc.
At this stage I gave up and reformatted again, the ran Setup from a backup copy of my CD-ROM. This time everything was setup without any problem.
Could my original disk be corrupted in some way? And are there any programs that can compare the two disks to ascertain their integrity?
I also have a Corel WordPerfect setup CD. The last time I tried to install from it, it wouldn't work at all - I couldn't even access the menu. So I made a copy, which worked perfectly. The original is still dud.

PrntRhd
03-07-2004, 10:23 PM
Sounds more like a dirty lens on the CD-ROM drive, I would try a cleaner disk once. If it does it again I would start shopping for a new one.
:rolleyes:

mike2002
03-08-2004, 07:37 AM
PrntRhd: During the past few days I've done partition backups to CD-RW with Acronis True Image. It has a function that verifies the integrity of the copy, and no errors were reported.
As an experiment (before I did a full re-install of Windows), I made a copy of my 'wonky' C:/ partition, did a reformat, then loaded the partition back again. It all worked perfectly. It was indeed a 'True Image'.

PrntRhd
03-08-2004, 09:40 AM
FYI, I meant read problems on OEM disks, not write errors.
:)

Paul Komski
03-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Programs such as TurboNavigator (http://www.freeware-download.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?ID=709) can compare directories in the two panes it displays. This, of course compares such things as file-names, file-sizes, date created, etc rather than a byte by byte comparison of the files' intrinsic data, for which a hex editor/comparer would be required - and would be likely to take a while to do unless there is a neat program that will do this easily.

Simply copying the whole CD to your HDD is not a bad way of detecting bad files, since if one is encountered you will be presented with a copying error.